586,655 active members*
2,798 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAD Costs? HELP!!! RIPPED OFF???
Page 1 of 2 12

BobCAD Costs? HELP!!! RIPPED OFF???

I was looking for a Cad program and BobCad called me after I downloaded the trial. He told me BobCad was $1900!!! He offered me some extra Seats and added BobArt for $500. I was pretty happy with my purchase but now I go back to the web site and I see BobCAD for $695. What costs $1900? Did I get ripped off? But when I look at the trial it says BobCAM. Is there a difference between the CAD and CAM Package? WHAT IS THE $1900 thingy I bought?

Go to Help,then to license,and post here and maybe we can help you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.JPG  

No clue where help is?

Jr,
    I am a EE not a Mech E. I dont know how this forum is organized. I paid half of this cost for this today and the last half tomorrow, I think I made a big mistake and I need some help

Very gracious regards

Paul GT3

"BobCad-CAM". A cad+cam standalone modeling/CAM package.

"BobCAM". A CAM integration into solidworks.

I think they have a 2d only version now that may be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by paulgt3 View Post
    Jr,
    I am a EE not a Mech E. I dont know how this forum is organized.
    Very gracious regards

Paul GT3
    Open BobCad and look for the help menu on the top menu. Clcik help, then look for "license". You can see what you have licensed from there....

I paid half of this cost for this today and the last half tomorrow, I think I made a big mistake and I need some help
    You bought something for $2400.00 and dont know what you bought?

Thanks Burr

Yup he called me and said he noticed I had downloaded the trial. We then talked about my machine and my needs. Sounded like
    everything I needed. He then gave me 3 licenses for all three of my machines for the same price then threw in BobArt for $2400 total.
    So I feel Like I got what I needed till I went back to the web site. I paid 1200 today and I pay the rest tomorrow.

S0 I dont think I will be on the license thing on their website until tomorrow anyway.

Is the Stand alone BobCAD CAM different than the BobCAD package for $695?
    I am trying to figure out what the salesman sold me for $1900. I can NOT find the $1900 product on the website.
    I REALLY appreciate the help. I am a small business owner and I cant afford this kind of a mistake. He really made me feel Like I got some type of GREAT deal.

Is the Stand alone BobCAD CAM different than the BobCAD package for $695?
    I am trying to figure out what the salesman sold me for $1900. I can NOT find the $1900 product on the website.
    I REALLY appreciate the help. I am a small business owner and I cant afford this kind of a mistake. He really made me feel Like I got some type of GREAT deal.
    The pricing has changed a bit... I'm did skim over some things the other day and thought I saw a "basic 2d" package or something..

They have "pro" versions with various other toolpaths and options and things...

I would say the best thing if you are unclear on what just happened, is to get them back on the phone. They also have a company website where you can get a more direct answer from someone who works there, probably faster than here... We are just users of the software..

Hi Paul gt.

I just went to the BobCad store, and they have "CAD" listed for 695. This would be "drawing tools". No machine stuff. Then they have "2 axis mill" and up, like 3 axis mill standard and pro.. The pro is listed at $3400.00.

You can find that stuff here:

CAD/CAM Software Products | BobCAD-CAM

You need to know what you purchased. I would call.

Thanks Burr,
    The salesman said what I have goes from design to G code, so I must have something more than the basic "CAD" for $695.

Yea I just realized what Jr said. I dont have any licenses yet. I talked to the guy for an hour. Then he called me back to just talk because somehow we got on cars and he wanted to ask a bunch of questions on how to buy a high end car
    (one of my specialties) so I will get him back on the phone tomorrow.

I REALLY appreciate your help Burr. I just need to find the pricing info.
    WHen he said 1900 and I had looked at Autocad for $4000 and SOLID works for $4000, $1900 sounded really good.

You purchased the standalone package for CAD only, or was CAM also included. This is a simple check by looking at your invoice and see what it says. If it says CAD only then you only purchased the CAD portion of the software. If you see anywhere in which it states an axis, i.e. 2axis Standard, 3ax Pro... and so on then you purchased the software with the CAM package. If you were able to provide a screenshot of the license that shows on your computer, it would be easier to ascertain the specific modules in which you own. It can also be sorted out by contacting your sales representative for a more clear understanding of pricing and your specific purchase.

Thanks Burr,
    The salesman said what I have goes from design to G code, so I must have something more than the basic "CAD" for $695.

Yea I just realized what Jr said. I dont have any licenses yet. I talked to the guy for an hour. Then he called me back to just talk because somehow we got on cars and he wanted to ask a bunch of questions on how to buy a high end car
    (one of my specialties) so I will get him back on the phone tomorrow.

I REALLY appreciate your help Burr. I just need to find the pricing info.
    Hi Paul,
    Yeah, you should get it figured out tommorow..

The salesman said what I have goes from design to G code
    This would be one of the "more than the 695.00" packages.. Best before you get going to just get him back on and get right with it.. You should be fine.

WHen he said 1900 and I had looked at Autocad for $4000 and SOLID works for $4000, $1900 sounded really good.
    AutoCad and solidworks are also just "CAD" packages. They do the design part.. If you then need to add "CAM", start coughing up more. Although, Solidworks would be a far better "CAD" package, it would just depend on your design needs

BTW:
    The post just above mine. Sean is a BobCad employee.

Thanks Sean

Same name and spelling as my son.

I havent completed the purchase until tomorrow, I have no license or invoice yet. But I KNOW its CAM because we talked about that if I did not have MachMill it could run my machine for me.

Sean I feel alot better about it. I just got excited when i saw the BobCaD for $695. I KNOW I got more than that! I am OK now.

The software will not run your machine, let me make that perfectly clear. It will produce G-Code that will allow the machine to be run without having to manually code it. You still need some sort of controller software, or else you just have unusable G-Code.

Yes you did!

Yes! You did get ripped off. I also downloaded the trial and got the phone call. When "Gilbert" told me the cost was $1800.00 I told him to call me when it got down to $200. Within 20 seconds I bought BobCad/Cam and the training videos for $200.00.

The biggest problem with those folks is that they call about once a week trying to sell training sessions. It has gotten to the point that I ignore the calls.

No worries Sean

Sean No worries, I have MachMill. So if the BobCad produces the GCode, I will load it up on MachMill and run it from there. I thought what he said was just a tiny bonus, but I guess I misudnterstood. I am OK

But I KNOW its CAM because we talked about that if I did not have MachMill it could run my machine for me.
    Paul

BobCAD-CAM software does NOT control machinery, it only a means of creating a drawing and producing G code that is put in a machine control such as Mach3, Fanuc and many more in order to make the machine move.

Why would you need 3 licences, one for each machine ?? (Unless they are all different eg Mill, Lathe or EDM )
    Sounds more like you thought you were buying software that would also control your machines ! !

I have several CNC machines that run on Mach3 and one also has MachMill Pro for probing/toolsetting added, these run the machines but do not do CAD drawing or CAM production of toolpaths and G code. (Although there are some nice little Wizards in Mach3 that will do most tasks )

If that is what you think you have bought then maybe you need to cancel everything and start again from scratch.

If you only want to make drawings then just get the basic $695 (Or less depending on what you can get with some negotiation ) CAD software, if you want to produce G code to put in your machines then you will need one of the Cad-CAM packages but unless you need to work at more than one location eg one at the machines location and one at home then you will only need a single Licence or "Seat".

If you already knew all that then my apologies for treating you like a novice, if not then I hope it has made things a little clearer for you

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

P.S. Ah, I see that while I was typing the above it has been pretty much covered No matter, still relevant

Take a breather, put everything on hold and think it out. BCC can be had "right" if you take your time. Spend some time on the forums and get the straight talk. Maybe a ebay copy of V23 will do everything you need for 200 bucks with all the extras.

No I wanted the three licenses to be able to do work on all three.
    I have three machines, one is the CAD drawig Mac Pro desktop, a laptop that I could do wot it if want and then the machine that runs the cnc machine.
    that way I can be on any machine and do work But if the has the Cad on it
    I can desigin on that machine?

Terminology mismatch

I have three machines, one is the CAD drawig Mac Pro desktop, a laptop that I could do wot it if want and then the machine that runs the cnc machine.

OK, my misunderstanding, sorry, "machine" to me is the CNC machine and not a computer

Fine, if you need/want to be able to do your design work and G code creation at any of your computers then yes, you will need 3 "seats" as they are generally termed for CadCAM software.

You will need to check that all your computers especially the Laptop are up to the job, CadCAM software programs are typically "resource intensive" and need lots of processing power, RAM memory and a fairly powerful graphics card, most Laptops don`t "fit the bill" unless they are pretty expensive "high end" ones so make sure you run the Demo on all the computers you want to use.
    Unfortunately the current BobCAD V25 Demo doesn`t allow the Simulation to run in Demo mode and that does require a fair amount of computer resources so be aware of these things.

Maybe you could get a "hook up" with a BobCAD Tech that could do a live online demonstration for you on one or more of your own computers to show you that it will run OK, be a shame to buy the software only to find that one or more of your computers won`t handle it
    Talk to the Sales person about this, he/she may be able to arrange that for you, they probably won`t charge for doing it, they are very good at helping folks out at BobCAD

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Sounds like you got it figured out Paul... My Brother uses mach3 to run his code too, so it should be fine... The contact you develope next to finalize any of your questions will be good, too, for awhile, so you dont have to sift through the waste here to get the answer you need...

The new V25 is a great purchase, and a big leap for BobCad! I think you'll be happy with it.

If you need any help getting going on it, I can try to help with basic usage...

Page 1 of 2 12