587,998 active members*
2,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Two Angle Tool to Mill Out Inside Cylinder

Question Two Angle Tool to Mill Out Inside Cylinder

I'm having trouble getting SC9 to correctly machine out an inner lip inside of a cylinder. No matter what I do I can't get SC9 to machine the curve under the lip correctly (above the lip was done with a "Finishing Morph" and a basic endmill). Here's the IronCAD side profile drawing below to understand the shape:

Don't be deceived by the 2nd image. Here I tried "5D Contouring" with "Contact Tool Type" defined as "Fixed". I then defined the top and bottom paths but SC9 ignored the surface of the lip and cuts straight through until it gets to the bottom level. Leaving my piece lipless. Sniff.

I bought a double angle (60°) chamfer mill specifically for the operation to allow me to get under the lip, which has a depth of <0.1". With the help of Tormach's SprutCAM tech support, Jason, I figured out how to add the tool to the library (initially I had followed Eric's video on creating custom tool shape but ran into other issues quickly afterwards). Here is the tool parameters screen for the double angle chamfer mill:

TIP for Newbies Like Me:
    There was a trick to even get this "two angle tool" type to show up. In SC9 the shaped tool option doesn't even a appear for some common tool operation types like 2D Contouring, Waterline or Finishing Morph. The Shaped Tool type (and then the type "Two Angle Tool") does appear with operation types like 3D contouring, 5D Contouring, and "Make Shape Cutter".

Any suggestions on how to attack machining the curve under the lip of the inside of this cylinder in SC9/PCNC1100?

I'm open to buying a different tool just not a different CNC or CAM software package.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Sascha

Tormach PCNC1100, PathPilot v.1.9, SprutCAM 9

Re: Two Angle Tool to Mill Out Inside Cylinder

I'm also trying to do the same thing, and having the same results as you so I'm looking forward to see how this is solved

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I couldnt get sprut to make an undercut either.
    I solved mine with a special cutter, in my case it was a woodruff cutter to cut an undercut slot, I had to use 2d contour and "normal" tool entry(cutter enters away from the work, to depth then travel into the work, make the cut and exit the same way.

I think you could do it with a special ground tool for all the odd radius/chamfers. I would bore the part and use that cutter last just to put those radiuses in.

This is the part I used it on to cut the relief in the inner diameter, it did take a bit of trying to get it right ha!

I have the sprut 7 file but it wont open in sprut 9, if you have 7 I can send you the file, the ops are in it and would give you an idea of what to do etc.
    mike sr

A cutter ground like this should do it........
    mike sr

Does this tutorial help at all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-AQKUGizZY

I don't have time to follow through but it looked like it could be useful. If not, try Googling "Sprutam Undercut".

I would be interested to know if the undercut was successful, and how it was done??

Mike, Thanks for posting the video, I can see some fancy picture frames coming in the future!
    mike sr

Thanks for posting this video Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Does this tutorial help at all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-AQKUGizZY

I don't have time to follow through but it looked like it could be useful. If not, try Googling "Sprutam Undercut".

There are some interesting videos available on Sprut's YouTube channel, but it can be hard to follow them sometimes, especially the ones done in what sounds like Russian.

Thanks Ed for telling how you got it accomplished..
    mike sr