588,370 active members*
8,715 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > DNC Problems and Solutions > Help w/ Sound Logic Encoder Interface, Does Anyone Use This Thing??

Help w/ Sound Logic Encoder Interface, Does Anyone Use This Thing??

Hey Guys;
    I need a little help with my new controller!!! I'm using g320s with cnc4pc breakout board, charge pump and mini powersupply. To enhance the control, I've also installed the SL encoder interface.
    I have everything installed, wired (again and again) and the power supply working, voltage correct, servos spinning (but only in one direction) using mach3. Following is a list of my questions, and sorry if I don't provide enough information, at least for now!
    1. The SL board has a built in charge pump but I want to use the external cnc4pc pump to fire everything. Has anyone used the sound logic board before? The pdf manual assumes you are using the SL breakout board so there is absolutely no detail. Just "put a special cable on J9". What is the special cable? There are 3 pins designated as (J9) so I'm sure that one is the 5V required to power the logic circuit but I can't get that information from the supplier. Just information like "most likely a bad parellel interface card", and I should buy the SL interface card!! I just want to know how to use the simple electronic switch which is the charge pump to power the board!!! Is there a schematic for this board anywhere. That, I can understand!
    2. I now have the macropump drivers but have no idea how to install them and hell, I don't even know what a macropump is!! Any ideas. The file won't open by itself! And I guess I need the file (driver???) to make the system work.
    3. Step and direction both have 5 volts on them using the CNC4PC parallel interface card. I'm also using an external 5V power supply. I had a similar problem when I mocked up this control before and it turned out that the 5V supplly needed to be from the computer. I was hoping to use the external PS for this signal but will use a seperate line from the control system if necessary!
    But, maybe all this ties in!!!
    Does the Sound Logic encoder interface board required the second parallel port to be active???? Again, the manual doesn't say, just that the new port will provide many more inputs! Will the interface work with only 1 port active or does it need both!!!!
    Wow, I'm confused just rereading this. Sorry for the lack of detail but any and all help will be appreciated!!!!
    Mike, I may want one or your boards if I can't get this thing working!

billyjack
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Well, guess I'm the only one using this board. Wonder why???
    billyjack :cheers:
    billyjack

Bump again.
    Someone has got to be using this thing!
    billyjack
    billyjack

Bill,

Question 1 on Safety Charge Pump. I am not familiar with the SL board and do not think it has an external enable pin that would allow you to control it externally. But if you got one of the new safety charge pumps that come with the 15 amp relay, you could use this relay to control the power that goes into the SL board, or other electronics you might be using. You must have caution with this and as how you set up the NO and NC status of other relays, so you will not have unexpected behavior of some devices. I think you should consult this with Bob, I do not think he is going to like it since this board was not designed to operate this way.
    Question 3. I see no problem in the setup you are doing, just make sure you do not exceed the max amperage of the power supply. Each breakout board takes about 300 milliamps (it depends on the amount of pins been used).

Again, I am not familiar with the SL board, but if you were using a cnc4pc board, you would have to configure the second port and set the board for using pins 2-9 for input. So I guess you must have your second port connected and configured.

Arturo Duncan
    http://cnc4pc.com