587,238 active members*
3,749 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question CNC4PC C6 Speed Controller setup?

Hello,
    Do any of you know what settings I should use in EMC to drive CNC4PC's Speed Controller card?
    I can only seem to get a constant voltage out of it; variable with the adjustment pot, but mostly around 4.48v.

I can see the pwmgen.0.value changing with the HAL meter, but I'm getting no obvious results.

From CNC4PC:
    "This card lets you control your spindle with step and direction signals, as if it was an axis motor."

So pwm is not the right thing to use, you might want to use freqgen instead.

-Matt

Well, I switched back to the relay board, and it seems that my Puma SM motor controller is now burned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryobiguy View Post
    From CNC4PC:
    "This card lets you control your spindle with step and direction signals, as if it was an axis motor."

So pwm is not the right thing to use, you might want to use freqgen instead.

-Matt
    BY missing the bit about using an ISOLATED power supply, I managed to burn out my spindle card and probably the C6 as well. I've replaced the spindle controller, and plan on trying CNC4PC's replacement chipset for the C6, hopefully I only lost the optoisolators on mine.

Will EMC drive a 5th axis? I haven't seen anything that looks helpful in EMC's StepConfig.

EMC can control 9 axis
    stepconf only does setup for max 4 (3 linear 1 rotary)
    If you want more you'll have to modify the INI and HAL file to do it.
    Most of it would be copy and paste then change everything to reflect the different axis name. Read the Manual for more info.
    I think there is also a 5 axis example in the sample config picker. ( I maybe wrong it maybe just in the development version)

Quote Originally Posted by vlmarshall View Post
    Will EMC drive a 5th axis? I haven't seen anything that looks helpful in EMC's StepConfig.
    The stepconf is for setting up 4 axes or less. If you want to go for the 5th axis, spend sometime with the integrator's manual, the ini and hal files. Once you begin, chime into IRC and the emclist and your sure to get a boatload of support from previous refitters.

Stuart Stevenson on the email list has been documenting his retrofit of a Cinci 5 axis mill. He has been up to high level compensation for all axes. I am pretty sure there as a youtube video posted showing that mill doing a ball test on your previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by BMG View Post
    The stepconf is for setting up 4 axes or less. If you want to go for the 5th axis, spend sometime with the integrator's manual, the ini and hal files... I am pretty sure there as a youtube video posted showing that mill doing a ball test on your previous posts.
    Thanks for the tips and info! Yes, I've seen that video, and probably favorited it as well.