588,116 active members*
4,551 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

First Production Parts

After test run, after test run, after test run, I have finally settled on a routine that works well for something I am making and here are a few of the first acceptable parts. 6061 aluminum bar stock and fixtured via a sub plate that sits high enough off the table for me to insert screws through the bottom. I can machine all 5 sides in one go, then just clamp it in the vice to do the front. This same part took me 6.5 hours on my Bridgeport, now the Tormach can do one in about 25 minutes.

In response to both my post in the ATC thread and Sniper's thread about un-attended machining, I am comfortable to leave this part run now on it's own, but, you need to watch out for the spindle cover latch. Mine has come open three times now from vibration 20 minutes into a part. The spindle motor will stop but the table keeps going! If your tool is in a pocket it will snap off or stall the stepper motors and wreck things. I filed the door latch down so I can rotate it more and get a better bite, have had no trouble since working on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bluefin_parts.jpg   bluefin_parts2.jpg  
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

very nice. what are they?

i learned about tightening the spindle cover latch also. luckily i was standing there when it happened and i saved the tool and part.

The first time it happened I didn't know what was going on and the spindle slowed down, took a big bite with the 1/4" end mill and shattered. You would think that the hardware would interupt the drivers if the spindle stopped during a cut. The parts are for a line of products I am developing for the Wildland Firefighting Industry. Still a lot to do before the first trade show in April 09'.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

Nice parts, keep'em coming !!

I agree with twocik - nice job! keep 'em coming.
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD