588,009 active members*
3,237 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TM1 Kit Build - Australia

Hi Guys, great forum with heaps of Info. I am just about to begine building my TM1 kit, just need to finish the shed for it to go in. I have the TM1 kit and now am looking at options for the best way to go in relation to design and table options.

I have read a lot of the threads on here and am looking at going with a dust extraction system as instead of a water table. Anyone done this before ?

I have two extraction units from a woodwork shop and was thinking of building a hoper below the table and hooking them up to that. When cutting i could just lay ply of similiar over the open slats to help seal it up.

Comments ?

Also thinking of upgrading to Linear Bearings.

Just about to go shopping for a Plasma Cutter, any recomendations ? I was thinking of a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101, we don;t have the same range down here as you guys and prices are over the top.

Cheers,

Downdraft systems work well, especially when "zoned" or topped off with something that limits the surface area. Our usual formula for Cubic Feet per Minute fan ratings is square footage of surface area, multiplied by 120. This should give you more then enough flow for a given area.

Keep in mind if you have an 8' table and the downdraft at one end, suction will obviously be greater at the end closest to the inlet for the fan, which is why some people zone the tables.

Upgrading to a linear bearing setup would be a pretty good decision, I would build the gantry more suited for the linear bearing setup rather then on the Cam Follower design from the beginning.

For Plasma Cutter, we usually do recommend Thermal Dynamics series cutters, although if you purchased our New AVHC system that can accept an OK to move signal, I would recommend a Cutmaster 2 series, or Powermax 1000, 1250,or 1650 plasma cutter.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

hmm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response, I have the AVHC as well. The reason I was looking at the TD 101 was as there is a near new one which I might be able to get at a good price.

Why do you recomment the Cutmaster 2 over the 1 ? From what I have read the Cutmaster 101 will interface well with the TM1 and AVHC, is this correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelArt View Post
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response, I have the AVHC as well. The reason I was looking at the TD 101 was as there is a near new one which I might be able to get at a good price.

Why do you recomment the Cutmaster 2 over the 1 ? From what I have read the Cutmaster 101 will interface well with the TM1 and AVHC, is this correct ?
    Yes it will, however the cutmaster 2 series provides an OK to Move signal, which our AVHC system can accept. This allows us to base our machine movements to start consistently after the torch has fired, where as the 101 it is all timer based.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

Ok well all teh parts are sorted so it is alnost time to stop designing and start fabricating.

Will post pictures as I go.

Right On SteelArt, sure hope everything goes smooth for you, I built a TM 1 about 1 1/2 yrs ago and had fun doing so. I eventually upgraded the gantry to an aluminum extrusion for rigidity and I am really happy with it now. You can check out my table if you like.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...ight=shapenfab
    and the final product.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...ight=shapenfab

Best of Luck to You,, Shapenfab,.,,,,.,.............,..........