587,610 active members*
3,535 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Planning software needed

We are in need of some good job quoting, planning, scheduling and time keeping software. I have been looking at job boss software and it seems to be just the ticket. What are any of you using and would you buy it again or get something different? I can't believe we are still using spreadsheets for everything with as bis as we've gotten.

Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

For a super-fast, very inexpensive quoting program with a lot of machining intelligence built in, you might want to take a look at my program, ME Consultant Professional.

http://mrainey.freeservers.com/MEPro.html
    Software For Metalworking
    http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Well your software looks pretty neat but it would not do for what we need to do. I really need something geared more towards the scheduling side of manufacturing.

Thanks for the offer though

It's not an all-inclusive shop management package.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look.
    Software For Metalworking
    http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Traceman,
    We have been using Jobboss for several years now. Selected jobboss after reviewing several other (and even purchasing one) shop floor control packages.

I am happy with the package. Support is good. There is a lot to learn and you have to enter/collect some good data in before you can use planning/scheduleing. You have to review your actual costs and update your job routing templates for planning. I am just beginning this process.

Quoting works good, I got our guys who were using spreadsheets to use Jobboss quoting.

Data collection is good. We got the bar code scanners and the workstation. Guys scan on and off jobs.

Developing material naming rules is important. (can't have people calling same material two different things).

It uses Access database, and allows you to write your own reports or taylor the existing.

If anyone else here uses Jobboss, I would like to hear how it's working out.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wjbzone
    Data collection is good. We got the bar code scanners and the workstation. Guys scan on and off jobs.

Bill
    Our company use to do that. It took away from production time having the operators scanning in and out of jobs.

We are now using white board data collections. The supervisers goes around to each cell every hour and write down the production information on a marker board (white board). At the end of the 24 period, the information is totaled for the day and entered into a database. A reporting program then compiles the information into charts that project the trends for FTT and OEE.

I wrote it

http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/data/500/WBATM.jpg
    Wayne Hill

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by wjbzone
    Traceman,
    We have been using Jobboss for several years now. Selected jobboss after reviewing several other (and even purchasing one) shop floor control packages.

I am happy with the package. Support is good. There is a lot to learn and you have to enter/collect some good data in before you can use planning/scheduleing. You have to review your actual costs and update your job routing templates for planning. I am just beginning this process.

Quoting works good, I got our guys who were using spreadsheets to use Jobboss quoting.

Developing material naming rules is important. (can't have people calling same material two different things).

It uses Access database, and allows you to write your own reports or taylor the existing.

If anyone else here uses Jobboss, I would like to hear how it's working out.

Bill

I would like to buy something like JobBOSS to manage quotes and contacts, does JobBOSS do this? How much did it cost?

Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

BTW, I missed this thread until now. Wish there was a better place to put it.

Nice chart Wayne.

Not sure that would be a good option for me. Cost of someone to take care of the white board vs the time for an operator to scan on/off a job. I bet your situation is more of a production shop then a jobshop like mine.

Bill