587,213 active members*
3,246 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Does a DRO make X Y Table Move?

Just started a job with minimal machining experience and I need help figuring out the dro on knee mill. Its a Sino X Y Dro. I want to be able to drill holes at precise measurements and do not know how to set my positions with this readout. It has capabilities of containing 200 positions. I just cant understand the very basic user manual. Also when I do get my points set in the dro will the dro move the table automatically to the points that I set? I cant find one button on the thing to make the table move at all.(My understanding is that the dro only shows positions and does not move the table. The user has to manually find the positions. is this right?)

Thanks in advance for helping a newb out.

also any info on milling 6061 t6 al would be great. I figured i would go with carbide 2 flute for roughing.

Smile DRO

A DRO is a digital read out it's for positioning information not table motion, you have to manually move from point to point. Two flute carbide end mills work great on 6061 alum. for the whole operation even finish cut.

Thanks

Hey Thanks Gary

Im still doing research on how to set positions in memory and toggle between them..any ideas would be helpful..

say I have a half inch plate of aluminum and want to clamp it to face mill it.. what tool do I use to raise it above the top of the clamp, so not to mill the clamp? 123 blocks or what? just the quickest way without having to square it up to the clamp. also what is the main function of 123 blocks, I cant remember. thanks, im sure I will have lots more questions.. I appriciate all replies

What size is the plate? I usually clamp plates in my mill vise setting it ontop of parallels so the surface of the plate is above the vise jaws.

Yes parallels thats the tool! perfect thanks... the plates arent that big 3 x 4