588,377 active members*
8,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > kelinginc 425 vs 270 OZ-IN steppers

kelinginc 425 vs 270 OZ-IN steppers

Hello, I am planing on adding CNC to my microlux X2 variant. For now I just want to use the stock lead screws and add a lead screw for the Z axis. I have been looking at the Kelin kits and I think I have settled on the 3 axis 36 V kits with the 4030 drivers. The only question is what is the better motor? From lots of googling and reading here I THINK the 270 are actually the better motor. This is according to a thread on here stating relative power was related to the inverse of the square root of the inductance. For the minimal cost difference I would rather have a better motor but then more is not always better.

I tend to cut mostly soft stuff like plastic and wood. However I DO want to be able to cut in steel and aluminum for making brackets, jigs and artistic stuff. I will be using emc2 on an old computer for control.
    Thank you.

If the speed vs torque curves are accurate, the 270 will provide more power. I purchased them for that reason. High inductance motors need higher voltages, more than what most low cost drives can handle.

Thats what I was thinking. How are they working out for you?

Are you looking at this kit specifically? Page Title

If so, I'm sure it's fine, and the price is fair for all new equipment, but you can match those specs for a lot less if you put it together yourself... then again... having them supply everything has it's value... you don't have to spend the time learning how to do it right yourself. Just depends on what your goal is, learn and pay less, just get it done and pay more. Nothing wrong with either approach.

That looks like it, the PSU I have in mind is 36V. I am capable of building driver boards but for this I think I want some thing a bit more turn key. I have not gone looking yet but I am considering getting the BOB and drives and looking elsewhere for the motors and PSU. I have also considered building the PSU. If I build the PSU it would be old school linear. I was also thinking I have limited time and funds so this looked like a good compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by tjbaudio View Post
    Thats what I was thinking. How are they working out for you?
    I actually bought the 282 oz-in version because they were well prices at the time. I plan to use them on my sx3 mill, directly driven. They work well for the x and y axes, even with a 34v power supply. I don't have the z mechanism yet.

The inductance is about 2mH, so according to Geckodrive's rule of the thumb, the ideal voltage is about 45v. The high torque versions will have a much higher inductance. They will under-perform unless you have around 70v. This is beyond the capability of most low cost drives.

I am satisfied with them. They probably don't run as smooth as the high end motors, but they don't cost nearly as much either.

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    Are you looking at this kit specifically? Page Title

If so, I'm sure it's fine, and the price is fair for all new equipment, but you can match those specs for a lot less if you put it together yourself... then again... having them supply everything has it's value... you don't have to spend the time learning how to do it right yourself. Just depends on what your goal is, learn and pay less, just get it done and pay more. Nothing wrong with either approach.
    After some looking I found a brand new PSU for a little less that has 48V12A and can be adjusted from 20 ot 100% voltage. That would let me use what ever controller I finally get. I have been looking on fleebay and found some 250 oz-in motors for about $30, no decent drivers yet.

Speaking of drivers keling has the 4030 and 6050 for about the same price. Hmm more voltage AND more current for the same price. It appears I give up higher microstep counts and 1/2 current mode. HMM decisions decisions.

Getting close to a final list.

After lots more reading and looking at spec sheets I think I finally have a shopping list!

3 KL23H276-30-8B 282 OZ-IN This motor had the lowest inductance and good current rating

1 KL17H247-168-4B 62 OZ-IN nema 17 to drive a 3" rotary table from harbor freight

4 kl-4030 good enough to turn the motors smooth I think.

c10BOB
    36V/9.6A Power Supply

Any one see any big mismatches? Other comments?

Also checking with keling about a ball screw and fixed end block for my Z axis. I am tempted to just use a hunk of 1/2" all thread for now and upgrade to ball screw later but then I would be duplicating the work of building brackets.