587,419 active members*
2,996 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Need directions.

Hello All,
    First just want to say that I am loving this site. I have learned so much from reading the threads here that I am having a hard time decideing on a design for my own cnc router.

I have been researching DIY CNC for almost 2 years and have read everything that I could find about the subject. This site has been the most rewarding.

About six months ago I started buying and collecting parts to start my build. I have collected bearings, Probotix steppers with all the associated electronics, a spare PC, and misc. other pieces and parts. So I am about ready to go. (If I can remember where I put it all)

My question here is this. Can someone direct me to a build thread that throughly documents the electronics portion of the build? I have read dozens of threads on the design and build of the machine and have learned from each, but I would really like to see how some of you have made things move.

Thanks,

If I were you I would post what electronics you have, from there you may request help in determining what you need to know.

Good Luck

"All the associated electronics" in your first message indicates you have already made the decision about the controllers for the steppers and a break out board. This profound choice to a large degree dictates how they are wired up, also to a lesser degree determined by the software you are using (e.g., Mach 3, charge pumps, etc.) and the extent of limit, home, and e-stop switches you want use. Contact the vendor of the stepper controllers (drivers) for a wiring diagram if you don't already have one. If you are using Mach 3, download and study the installation manual - it is very thorough.

The only other problem once you have a wiring diagram is how to physically arrange the components in a box. Many have used an old PC case with the fan(s) in it which is often cheap or free and usually has plenty of room. You can make your own box, or buy a large 12x12x8 inch PVC "junction box" from the big box hardware store ($33) if everything can fit in that. How things will fit and attach is just something that you need to solve by arranging the physical parts in the box, remembering what you are going to do about cable shields and trying to keep power separate from signals, etc.

You can buy a switching power supply all ready to wire pretty cheap (sometimes for less than the cost of just a transformer) that simplifies the build. If you want to more closely match the supply voltage later you can build one from scratch then.

Be careful about applying power - just as you are advised to "measure twice, cut once" you should triple check the wiring before applying the power. I think it is helpful to use color coded wires (e.g., red for pos, black for neg, green for gnd, something else for signals etc.) but some shrug at that. Use a multimeter to make sure voltages are where they are supposed to be before connection to sensitive electronics. Many folks on this board have reported to have blown their stepper drive electronics by not heeding this warning.

Hope this helps,

Thanks so much for the replies.

I guess I jumped the gun a little by posting this question and should have used my head.
    I went back to the Probotix web site and low and behold they have a users manual with all the pictures that anyone could ask for. Thanks to you "revwarguy" I think I have the info that I need. But any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

By the way I have bought the Probotix - 3-Axis Monster Stepper Motor Driver Kit.

I hope to start my build soon and will start a build thread for it.

Thanks again for the push in the right direction.