587,935 active members*
3,733 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gerber Conversion?

Hi There,

I have started to build a small 3 axis router and am trying to sort out the electronics side of things. Being a Mech Engineer its not my strong point! I decided to go with the simple 3 Axis discrete board I got from Pminmo for a start off. At work we have a board router, but I can' seem to turn the board into a gerber file which the electronics guys use. I've tried several trials of programs to do it and have had no success. Can someone out there either convert it for me or suggest a software trial I can use to do it??

Thanks,
    Ken
    Attached Files Attached Files

By the time you're done ordering parts, the HobbyCNC board will probably end up costing the same or less. I started building an L297/8 controller because I built a PCB router and it felt wrong to buy a kit after spending all that trouble building a board-maker but by the time I'm done the HCNC kit would have been cheaper and offered more features.

Luckily we have nearly all the components at work. I think I'm missing one of the logic chips.

Also you have to remember I'm in New Zealand and our money is worth Jack all overseas (Which is why I haven't just brought the software) and have to pay the international shipping, + wait 6 weeks to two months for it to arrive!

Ha! I hear you. It's amazing what we take for granted these days. When I was a kid (70s and 80s, mind you), I remember mailing checks out to companies and waiting 4-8 weeks to get your order. These days in the US we gripe if the delivery takes more the 3 days from LA to Boston (~3000 miles). Maybe HobbyCNC Dave will take payment in bales of wool? Just kidding! I'm a sailor and rugger so Auckland has long been on my to-see list.

Good to hear! Auckland is ok but I can assure you there are a lot better places to visit in New Zealand. No jokes about the wool, my father is a retired farmer!