588,127 active members*
5,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post Water Table or Down Draft

This is my first post so bear with me.

I am in the process of purchasing a new 4x8 machine. I am going to do both plasma and routing. I have convinced the manufacturer to let me construct the base to my specifications (i.e. height, storage, water table or downdraft). I need the pros and cons of water or downdraft. I am planning on using a Thermal Dynamics 151 machine torch or one of the new Cutmaster True Series machines. Torchhead provides the electronics for the machine I am purchasing.

Thanks for any advice!

PS: Is there any good plans for a water table or downdraft system?

If you were only going to do plasma I would say go for the water table,but you want to do both plasma and routing.Go with the downdraft.......Remember plasma cutting is nasty stuff.May get your wood dirty when you want to switch from plasma to routing.I am all for dedicated machines.

I am facing a similar question.
    I already have large dust extraction to a bag located inside the workshop for routing, but am wondering about the best way to get rid of plasma fumes i have 2 specific questions...
    does a water table really get rid of all toxic fumes or almost all of fumes? (then how close must it be to the metal being cut)
    is there a way of running an extraction into a filter next to the machine effectively? as extraction to the exterior of the building is not possible
    regards
    Benergy

I am very interested in this as I too wish to use a machine for both plasma and routing.
    My thoughts were to use a water table, I hear that it removes a major portion of the fumes and dust. But I have never seen one in operation. I was planning on learning what it takes to use a water table for catching the dust and using a vent duct directly above my torch to exaust the fumes outside. Do you know of anyone that has information on water table set up?