588,616 active members*
4,735 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant question

Has anyone here used Hangsterfer coolant?

This coolant is peeling the paint off of our brand new Hermle machine!

Anyone else experience this.

Thanks

Dan

I'm not a coolant guru but when I rebuilt my Hardinge lathe and painted it, the same thing happened with some funky brand of coolant I was using at the time. Switched to another, and it crept between slides and went rancid VERY fast, that horrible sulfur smell and black staining up the wazoo.

Finally I went back to what I started with, Tapmatic Gold applied by hand. This is OK for some machining but sucks when you need flood. Maybe someone has suggestions for a flood coolant that a) doesn't strip paint, b) won't go rancid easily, and c) doesn't stain.

If you are sure you are mixing the coolant ratio correctly. Contact the producer of that coolant, they will have a customer service person who can help determine the problem.
    "Plan your work; Work your plan"

Yes, we checked the ratio. It is correct. The sales rep for the coolant blames the machine builder for inferior paint. The people from Hermle laughed when we told them that. The paint is baked on the trunion, and should not peel under any circumstances. (unless of course the coolant is more paint remover than it is coolant!)

Dan

Dan, I've had a similar experience when using the alkaline synthetic coolants. The stuff does make good paint remover

I wonder if an automotive clearcoat would help seal the paint?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Too late for this paint job. Once we repaint it, we'll have to give that a try.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Dan

We have been using Cimtech 310 for a few years now. It seems to work well for aluminum and steel, in our lathes and mills. The only paint lose is in high chip bounce areas. It will leave a sticky film that can build up if you let it.

Gary

Isn't clearcoat just a clear paint? I would think if this stuff is strong enough to eat paint, it would eat through clearcoat as well. I would repaint my equipment and change to another coolant that is more paint friendly.

We use clearedge on our CNC mill and have no paint problems whatsoever. I've run my friends mill ( mitsubishi mv 70 exaclty like the one I use now) and used some blue coloured coolant that stripped the paint right off the thing. Of the stuff I've used the castrol clearedge works best. There is some other more expensive stuff called Jokische sp.? ( YOKISH is how it's pronounced) apparently this is a very good coolant and is more environmentally friendly.

I use the Aqua (spelling) 6000 from grizzly with no effect on paint ,it is a flood system on my smithy 3n1 .I mostly machine aluminum
    thanks Kenneth
    www.lambertsrc.com