586,114 active members*
3,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Any improvements on my X-axis?

My X axis, rather the router has too much play in it along the X axis. I previously had a ball screw mounted in between the 2 rails, but that seemed to act as a pivot. I just switched it to rack and pinion both top and bottom so see if that would eliminate the play, it didn't. I am game for completely redoing the X axis, but I don't know what would make the router extremely stable.

Thanks
    Ben

Shoot, I can't upload any pics which would really help out this post.

Is the gantry racking (one side moving ahead of the other) ? If so, look for the posts on avoiding racking using a sliding knot configuration of thin SS wires running across the gantry and anchored on the frame. It seems to work wonders.
    If by play you mean looseness, the solution depends on if the play on the X axis is in the X, Y or Z directions ...

Cheers!
    pr

Pics would really help, check file size and keep it below 1000kbs should work then.

My pics

Here is a picture of my current setup for the X-axis. I feel like there is too much movement along the X-axis, however after testing it today, my cuts seemed to be acceptable. I still wish it was rock solid, perhaps the rails allow for too much play? Or maybe I need to mount the rails in a vertical fashion so that I can "sandwich" them?

Thanks
    Ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0041.jpg   IMAG0042.jpg  

Can you re-size and post again, it's so small cant see it properly.

Well you went and got some nice supported rail, but it isn't actually supported by anything... where there is a mount surface, there is only a fastener on one side of the rail base... The double rack and pinion looks solid, but wouldn't a second bearing on the rail give a wider stance and more stability?

I agree the rails need another beam back there for some support. Double up on the bearings too as mentioned.
    Should be much more solid that way.
    Lee

Thats better can see know.

A few points i would change, unfortunatly it would mean a nearly rebuild of the Z axis.
    1: I would make Z wider with 2 bearings like Pandinus say's this will help lots and i would only use 1 R&P dont think 2 is neccesary and just adds to the friction robbing power.? Also could cause problems with not getting racks aligned perfectly causeing all sorts sticking and alignment issue's.

2: Definatly need to support them rails with braces fastened to uprights.

Well, I gave myself a wider stance, 4" to 8" and I left myself access to the screws in the pillow blocks. I always thought those were there to hold the bearings in the block, apparently you can adjust the tension of the bearings.

I tried to post a pic, but it doesn't want to work again. And yes the files is small enough...

I'll have to test the machine tomorrow to see if that fix removed some of my play.

thanks,
    Ben