586,106 active members*
3,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Zen ToolWorks CNC Kit

I`ve been looking at the Zen ToolWorks CNC kit on Ebay/Amazon.

Seems like a good beginners kit for the price.

Anyone from the Uk bought one of these?

Will it hold a standard Dremel drill?, I can`t seem to locate the drill used in the picture.

Thanks.

I've been looking at one too.

Seems to be a good compromise between building it completely from scratch and a complete machine.

The machine in the photos has I believe a motor with a chuck on the shaft mounted. Cutting motor, controller, and computer HW/SW don't come with it.

"astainless" Has one and says he really likes it. The maker is supposedly very responsive to inquires. He can probably answer any question you have.

Hello,
    Xin I beleive owns and runs Zen Toolworks. I have just bought one of these kits from him although I have not recieved it yet. As stated here, he is very responsive to emails and will guide you happily.

I am very excitedd about recieving my equipment and feel quite childish again!! although I do believe there is 'x' amount of building to do.

I can't think however a better way of getting to know the equipment than building it yourself.

On that note, I am slightly concerened that once I have it together, I will struggle with the CNC side of things, not having used it before. Is there a free and relatively easy CNC program that I can download and use?

Kind regards.

Waiting for my kit to arrive as well...

Xin is excellent at responding to any questions you have about this.

The only thing worrying me is getting access to a drill press to assemble the baring parts, but I`ll cross that bridge when get the kit.

You can download a trial version of mach3 from their website, they also have tutorial videos there which are worth a look.

Ouch, didn't see that bit about need a drill press, let me know how you get on!

I'll go over to his site in a bit and check it out....I only ordered today so I expect it will be a few weeks.

In the process of building the kit

Have the Y and X axis done. Tonight will do the Z axis. Used long wood clamp. It has an end post that slides on a pipe, and a screw handle on the other end. Just put the barring against the post, and lined up the screw. Gently turned the screw handle to push it in.

AJRERKO,

I was wondering if I could use a G clamp, is this what you used? I'm not sure what it is you are using, can post a pic possibly?

Regards.

No need to have a drill press. Here I just posted an alternative way of doing it.  

http://www.zentoolworks.com/zenwiki/...ew_short_shaft

By the way, thank you folks for all your support a nd kind comments.

Regards

Xin

Quote Originally Posted by Lakes View Post
    Waiting for my kit to arrive as well...

Xin is excellent at responding to any questions you have about this.

The only thing worrying me is getting access to a drill press to assemble the baring parts, but I`ll cross that bridge when get the kit.

You can download a trial version of mach3 from their website, they also have tutorial videos there which are worth a look.

Well done thanks Xin, I will try this method when I get my kit.

regards.

Cool, he has membership here... and responds to customers! (I love that rare, yet much appreciated, one-on-one above-expectations customer service!)

I had a question, and a request, if possible.

I have been eyeballing your designs for some time now, as well as others. My question is, can you sell the kit without the motors, for a reduced price?

I have no need for the motors, as I have my own, which I purchased in advance for a DIY design. It seems like the inclusion of the motors might be a deal/no-deal breaker for many just wanting to buy the kit. I imagine that adds about $100 on to the cost of the unit, which many of us don't need. (Many of us have purchased motors and drivers and routers, and possibly failed or were unable to afford the individual parts to build our DIY. Having your item as a kit, without the motors, is exactly what we need.)

My request, is that you unitize your router-kits...

Kit-7 (Core) The 7" setup of glides, drives, bolts, nuts, etc...
    Kit-7 (Frame) The rigid core components that construct the frame.
    Kit-7 (Motors-17) 3 Nema-17 style motors.
    Kit-7 (Motors-23) 3 Nema-23 style motors.

Kit-X (Quiet Spindle) The spindle mount and package.

Kit-12 (Core) The 12" setup of glides, drives, bolts, nuts, etc...
    Kit-...

You would let them build a kit, offering discounts with the addition of each component they order.

That too, would allow someone who just needs hardware, wanting to build their own 7x7 machine, the ability to make a purchase of all required hardware for a DIY. Like me, who just needs the hardware and the frame.

To make another future sale from the same customer, offer credit towards additional purchases, with each component they purchase. EG, they will be inclined to come back to get the spindle, to spend the earned credits, or to get replacement parts directly from you, as they wear.

As a super bonus... You could offer kit-mods. Kit-7 precision/torque drive, a drive-screw with more turns-per-inch. Kit-7 speed drive, a drive-screw with less turns-per-inch, for those who don't need pinpoint accuracy. Kit-7 Beef-skins, aluminum reinforced frame plates with the addition of "L" support for more frame rigidity. Kit-7 Stone-force, larger diameter slides and mounts, used with the beef-skins and torque drive, for a semi-industrial rigid and precise, milling machine.

BEEF-CAKE!!!!!!!!!! LOL.

Controllers and power supplies... Let them guys come to you. You have a great item. Let them pay you, to say that their controllers and motors are Zen approved. It is the CNC that sells the motors, not the other way around, on a consumer level.

This one looks like a good altenative. MyDIYCNC