586,117 active members*
3,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Which X axis drive method

Hi

I am looking to get a router probably x600mm x y400mm x z100mm or thereabouts. Having searched some options there are a lot of USA units but shipping and CE etc may cause issues.

What I would like is peoples experiences/knowlegde with the different X axis drive methods I have seen from European manufacturers

1. Central screw driven by 1 motor, restricts cutting below the machine (ie placing on large panel)

2. 2 motors on the X axis driving each side, looks like lost steps would cause racking?

3. 1 motor on X axis to one side with a belt driving another screw on the other side, torque may be an issue driving 2 screws with one motor

All these configurations can use either rails or rods for the main support but it is the drive method that interests me.

Any help appreciated

We did it another way

locating the motor halfway between the two X-axis screws, and using timing belts and pulleys to drive both sides at the same time with jack-shafts. It's more mechanically complex, but electronically simpler, and it seems to work pretty well. I don't think it really takes twice as much torque to drive two screws mounted to the same gantry; it's perhaps more than required for driving a central screw, but the load (the gantry) is essentially the same. The extra resistance in the jack-shafts and additional bearings is the only additional load.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gliderask21 View Post
    Hi

I am looking to get a router probably x600mm x y400mm x z100mm or thereabouts. Having searched some options there are a lot of USA units but shipping and CE etc may cause issues.

What I would like is peoples experiences/knowlegde with the different X axis drive methods I have seen from European manufacturers

1. Central screw driven by 1 motor, restricts cutting below the machine (ie placing on large panel)

2. 2 motors on the X axis driving each side, looks like lost steps would cause racking?

3. 1 motor on X axis to one side with a belt driving another screw on the other side, torque may be an issue driving 2 screws with one motor

All these configurations can use either rails or rods for the main support but it is the drive method that interests me.

Any help appreciated

thanks Andrew, I hadn't thought of a central motor with 2 belts. All the ones I have seen have the motor on one side.