586,103 active members*
2,725 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

21i-T and Workshift

I am having issues with the work shift on this machine It's an Okluma ES-L8f

We'll set the workshift in Z and it moves the X some odd number. And we can't get rid of it!

Any clues?
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Here's a little more info on the problem above (I caused it...somehow):

I was running two similar parts, one shorter than the other. I wanted to make the setup for the shorter part more rigid by work shifting 25mm in Z. All the tools are identical.

I input 25mm in the Z Work shift box, and went to run the program. It shifted 25mm in Z just fine, but also shifted my X 17.3mm! I noticed right away as I pull the material to a tool to extend it. The first few lines of code are:

G0 T0505
    G0 X45. Z0.2
    M0
    G0 X60. Z10.
    (spindle starts, machining begins on the 2" piece)

Normally I'd have 5.8mm (50.8mm or 2" minus the X45.) of surface on diameter (2.4 in real life) of material to butt against the tool and close the chuck. Now it was well clear in X! 17.3mm out of place!

I zeroed the Z work shift. Problem persisted. Re-measured tools, nada. Tried T0101 and called it to centre, still out 17.3mm!

Tried powering down, re-zeroing, you name it.

Eventually put the damn 17.3mm in the work shift and X and started running the job, but this is sketchy! This put all boring tools on centre and made my diameters correct, like the previous job.

We had this once before but entering an X work shift then zeroing fixed it, after hours of mucking about. No such luck this time!

Any thoughts?