586,043 active members*
3,661 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Servos or steppers

Hi all. Am looking at buying a machine from k2cnc, probably the 25x25 model, and was wondering about the best way to go in the drive department.
    Thanks

Hobbycnc= Good
    Xylotex=Better
    Gecko=Best

Guess I should have said in the motor department. Is one any more 'trouble' to use than the other? Most reliable and repeatable. (servo vs. stepper)

I heard a good explaination some place.

Steppers are like Diesel Trucks. Not much to go wrong and cost is better.
    Servos are like Ferrari's. Perform like mad but you get to pay for it.

I have heard that servos are better depending on the load. Mariss has put out his ideas on the web several times (I don't remember where), but it if the load is above a certain point?? servos are better and with light loads, steppers are better.

All I know is I have servos on my mill/drill and I am happy
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

I have been trying to sort this one out from day one. Servos seem like a complete pain in the butt. Stepper technology has gotten much better recently. I dont know which way is best for you, but my direction seems to be leaning towards BIG steppers, ie overpower the thing so that load becomes less of an issue, and missing steps is an impossibility. Ive been looking at these 1400 oz/in 1.5a, 3V steppers I found for 175.00 ea. I cant imagine running out of torque with a motor like that. I dont like the idea of having to mess with encoders and tuning and seperate drivers. If I new what servos to buy it would be easier, the whole encoder thing has lost me, and if there was a single board multi axis driver available the cost would drop from 300.00 or more per axis to something reasonable. Good luck.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hey Paul,

First do look at the KG-3925. I know the price difference is pretty good but it really is a "better machine" (granted mine still had some errors). I don't know what your planning to cut with it. I had the 2525 and went to the 3925.

As for steppers, I am using 180 oz steppers on my 3925 and it's doing well. You can see my machine here. If you flip the pullies around the speed is rather fast and the stepper motor does not need to turn as fast so the torque stays high. Of course the resolution is lower but it is still at .001" (or if your a metric man like me .0254 mm) if I recall. Saying that, 640 oz/in nema 34 steppers from homeshopcnc would do the trick very nicely.

Keep us posted on your machine

taus
    Thanks,
    tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com

Well hopefully I will be able to give a first hand experience soon. I switched out my 180 oz/steppers for the 640 oz steppers and found that they also did not work as well as planned. I don't blame it on the steppers but more the computer/steps from it (or mach 2). The funny thing is I tried a 2.1 GHz computer and did not have better sucess. So in the event of not wanting to loose steps (or in greed for more speed ,don't know which one I bought the servo motors from K2 and Gecko 320s. I have the geckos and should have the motors soon.

Now I have ONLY ran a stepper system since I started machining and have had good luck with it. It will be interesting to see how the servos do.

will keep ya posted.

taus
    Thanks,
    tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com

easy one. Servos. and if you can't afford them go with micro stepper.

Having tried both I say get the servos with the gecko 320s. Great!
    taus
    Thanks,
    tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com