586,121 active members*
3,755 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Where do you get your fasteners?

Where do you get your fasteners?

I found myself scouring ebay and the likes for stainless metric flat head screws. There has to be a place that is used to dealing by the thousand count, or pound quantity per type and isnt marking up like crazy.

I know some of the big players like enco etc

And local players like Ace, Menards, Home Depot..

But does anyone have a "secret stash", some place where you can order a decent small shop quantity and have had good luck? (The internet is a big place)

For example, I was placing an order at amazon for some misc items, and stumbled upon 500 stainless m 3.0-.5 flat heads for like five bucks (free shipment). I checked other sizes and they were all much more. I ordered a couple packs-we will see if it gets filled.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe he can help.

http://shop.ebay.com/rivercityindust..._from=&_ipg=25

I have bought from Bolt Depot on a few occasions.

Edit: your Amazon prices are way better, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast01 View Post
    Not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe he can help.

http://shop.ebay.com/rivercityindust..._from=&_ipg=25
    Thank you, I did email several vendors from ebay who were selling little 12 or 240 count packs. I will post here if I can negotiate a good price from anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Flenser View Post
    I have bought from Bolt Depot on a few occasions.

Edit: your Amazon prices are way better, though.
    Yeah that amazon price was great, but you can really only have so many 3-0.5 12mm fh stainless screws.

I love this- feels like I am building the erector set from heaven (or hell, if you arent tweaked)

I normally buy in the < 100 range but I generally use mcmaster. They ship the day you order, their shipping fees are fair (IMO) and I can have something from them tomorrow if I order today. I have used Fastenal in the past but their part descriptions on the site are frequently wrong and their customer service is terrible. I have also used www.nutsandbolts.com - not because their prices were any better but because they carry JST bolts which are kind of hard to find (at least have been for me).

If you are dealing in metric you want:
    http://www.metricspecialties.com/

They can get you anything in any flavor and they have a huge stock. Carroll Smith speaks of them as the only reputable source for metric fasteners in his book on the topic. (That was a while ago, so there are others)

http://www.spaenaur.com/products.asp

We are in Canada and the company I work for get most of our fastners from these guys. Not sure about shipping to the US though.

McMaster is one of our other sources (and are actually less $ sometimes!)
    Fastenal ranks third - last resort.

Also depends on quality - what do you need? We often need high grade fastners and buying something made offshore to unknown QC standards just won't cut it. No point machining a $100 part to break off a 25 cent screw in it...

Mike

Look locally as well. I found a place in Victoria that stock pretty much everything, from 4-40 to concrete anchors, and they are cheaper than ordering online and paying shipping. It also helps if you know someone/a company whos account you can use (get the discount, but pay cash)
    FS: Complete Z-Axis Assembly with THK RSR15WM slide, leadscrew, stepper mount. PM for more info.

Tractor Supply by the pound, small stuff for oneze twozies is cheaper at Menards and is the same brand.

www.mcmaster.com the fastest and easiest way IMO

www.victornet.com has good prices. I just ordered 100 #4-40 SHCS for under $5.00

We supply various kinds of Sound proof fasteners.

Try here:

http://www.ecvv.com/product_directory/Fastener.html

Whats the equivalent of McMaster in Europe?