586,115 active members*
3,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Getting started with Mach 3 ...

After hooking up my machine and finally getting everything put together, I'm now left with learning Mach 3. On my older DIY CNC machine I ran turboCNC, which is a dos based program. Mach 3 running on windows is a little different for me, has alot more options and don't want to touch something that would put me behind and left with a mess.

I purchased the Tormach CNC package, with the configured computer. So I'm guessing this is fined tuned and if I type in pocket 1", it will measure with my caliper 1" on the dot or do I need to fine tune this as well ?

I'm also trying to figure out how to switch the direction of the jog, I'm use to the up arrow moving toward the machine and the down arrow away from the machine, seems to be set in reverse ?

If anyone here has a link to where I can find where to start with setting up Tormach Mach 3 tutorials ?

Last I'm trying to figure out how to jog my axis a little slower, right seems that they are in rapid mode ?

Thanks guys, sorry for all of the questions.....

my machine is 30 miles away so i can't directly explain where the button is to slow the jog rate but it is called something like "jog rate" and you can enter a percentage.

when jogging the machine with the arrow keys, you need to think about the direction the tool is moving, not the table. using the up arrow will move the tool away (table toward you). using the left arrow will move the tool to the left (table to the right).

the rest of the questions are going to need answering by someone else as i don't know.

Hi twocik
    I am not sure of any tutorials. But I think you will find it more educational if you just play with it. Just be sure to keep a safe Z height. When you are comfortable getting closer to your work start off with real light cuts and measure a lot.

I would say the biggest errors people make are usually in Z. Like a bad offset number or simply forgetting to set Z 0.
    When running new code always keep your finger on the space bar " Pause".
    I also put a line of code in that gives me a reference point so I know if something is off. My first moves down is always to Z 2.0 and then to Z 0 or what ever. If the machine doesn't pause for a split second about 2" over the part I know there is something wrong with my Z height. And I hit the space bar to pause the machine and see what is wrong.

Most of my code starts off something like this.

G0 G90 G54 X0 Y0
    M3 S 2000
    G0 Z2. ( This is the panic point )
    Z.025
    G1 Z-.1 F10

Hope some of that helps. Have fun with your new machine and be safe.

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

Thanks guys, i'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Did you guys buy the configured Tormach computer or buy another and load the software yourself ?

The main question that's really got me stomped is, does this computer that I bought from Tormach need any modification/setup ? I watched a bunch of Mach 3 tutorials on the Mach 3 site, but they have a different interface than the Mach 3 version I see on my computer monitor "Tormach Version" and part of the introductory was setting the motor, parrell port/pins, etc..

Mach3 on your Tormach is already set-up and optimised, so this part of the Mach3 manual/tutorials is irrelevant. The rest of the Mac3 manual (how to use the machine) is also in the Tormach manual (but taylored for the Tormach). If you use the "how to use" Mach3 tutorials you have to remember that some features may have been removed or altered in the Tormach version (usually for good reason).

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    Thanks guys, i'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Did you guys buy the configured Tormach computer or buy another and load the software yourself ?

The main question that's really got me stomped is, does this computer that I bought from Tormach need any modification/setup ? I watched a bunch of Mach 3 tutorials on the Mach 3 site, but they have a different interface than the Mach 3 version I see on my computer monitor "Tormach Version" and part of the introductory was setting the motor, parrell port/pins, etc..

Jogging using arrows

300sniper pretty much covered the jogging, it just takes a bit to get use to.

Larry O

"when jogging the machine with the arrow keys, you need to think about the direction the tool is moving, not the table. using the up arrow will move the tool away (table toward you). using the left arrow will move the tool to the left (table to the right)."

Yes I kind of understand what you mean, but them being in reverse is hard for me to get use to. I know I'll crash something at some point using them this way. I've used turbocnc for so long with the option of switching direction (hitting the left arrow key and the table moves to the left from where I'm standing), that it's become a habit. This option I can't find....

As for everything else, I spoke to soon. Started the manual and had no idea that mach 3 was covered in it. I thought it only covered the machine, controller, not software. I'm on page 45 and have already learned alot, however this wizard stuff is a little confusing.

Can anyone explain what, why and how these wizards apps can be incorporated into my workflow ?

I'm also stuck on what software to buy. At some point I want to get into 3D molds, but at the moment want to learn the 2 1/2D stuff and the machine first. This 3D stuff is like second nature for me, coming from film/animation background, this shouldn't be hard for me to pick up. However the extra money at the moment for another program might be a little bit of a problem.

So is it a waste of my time to buy and learn a 2 1/2D program for now and buy the 3D program later once I can afford it or just bite the bullet and buy the 3D program ?

Guessing that these 3D programs can output 2 1/2D DXF files too, not just 3D files ?

anyone ?

I think the important part is to buy the right CAD program and stick with it, this avoids a second learning curve, which can be a more significant hurdle than the cost. If you already have a suitable 3D program then great. The cost of a cheap 2 1/2D CAM program is less than the cost to upgrade a 3D CAM program. Don't buy the 3D CAM until you need it. They get better and cheaper all the time. This has the added advantage of making the learning curve less steep and you will have more expereince to base your choice of 3D CAM on.

Phil

anyone ?

Thank you Phil

Yes this is probably the harder part of buying the machine, picking out what software best fits me. I'm looking at the Alibre software, but wasn't sure if this was the way togo... I was told there were alot of free CAD programs that are very good to look into, but haven't found any yet. I'd say under $500 I'm comfortable with spending for now, but I don't want a program that's going to have a bunch of limitations that I'll find out about during production.

What programs are you guys using and how are they working out for you ? I plan to use my mill for 2.5D mill ops for now, then maybe a year from now look into 3D. The type of work I'm going to be doing is mainly camera parts, but will be making things like motorcycle/ATV parts, fire arm accessories, computer parts, etc.. Things that will require tapping, pocketing, drilling, boring, profiling. Not sure if all of this info helps, but if you need more let me know.

twocik, for 3D work I use Alibre solid modeler (currently $97, and does probably 90% of what SolidWorks does for straight solid modeling--in my last job I used SW from 1997 to 2008) for CAD and MeshCAM for the CAM (disclaimer--I'm a moderator on the MeshCAM support forum), and for 2.5D work I use VersaCAD for CAD (have done since 1989) and SheetCam for CAM. For drilling I usually use a macro I wrote in VersaCAD to generate the gcode directly from the layout drawing.

Randy

I use Solidworks 2010 for CAD and SprutCAM for CAM. BTW I use the full 3D capabilities of SprutCAM. SprutCAM is a great buy at~$1K if bought from Tormach with your machine. SprutCAM can be called from within Solidworks 32 bit version. SprutCAM cannot be called from within Solidworks 64 bit version but it is very simple to just port the IGS files over to it.

Don

Randy that seems like a pretty massive workflow. Don't get me wrong I'm use to jumping in and out of programs owning a film company and already knowing how to use CAD programs for animation (maya, zbrush, etc..), but thought I'd be able to buy one program that does both 2.5D & 3D.

When we export a 2D image, we render each image plane separately (top, bottom, front, back, etc..), then bring them together in editing software to make the final comp. This would be used for say making a graphic or even a simple comic book. Now when exporting 3D imagery, this is a little different, but almost the same.

Is there a reason for all of the programs ?

Why is it that Alibre can't put out a 2.5D file, but will do 3D ?

"VersaCAD"

This program seems very limited, but like the fact it is available for mac. I've been playing around with it for almost an hour and features aren't what I expected after seeing the price tag. Maybe I'm missing something here..

Don

I'm looking into both of these as we speak, looks like a nice little price tag on sprutcam, but can't really find a price on SW. I see some stores that sell it at 129 and some that sell it at 400, where can I find this program at the correct price ?

I've been using Alibre Expert for several years before I bought the Tormach mill and bought SprutCAM with the mill. I started with SprutCAM 4 and am now up to SprutCAM 2007 and about to upgrade to SprutCAM 7. SprutCAM was hard for me to pick up but it's gotten a lot easier with the tutorials that have become available for it in the last year or so. Tormach has several on their web site and there is a fee-based site in the UK that provides tutorials and tech support.

Alibre can generate 2D drawing files which can be converted to DWG or DXF for use in a 2-1/2D CAM program but even for simple profiles or drilling jobs I find it very easy to import the 3D model into SprutCAM and go from there.

If the $1+k price for SprutCAM throws you or you try the demo and don't like the program, you could try SheetCAM as Randy mentioned. Other relatively low cost options include VCarve and it's sister software, AlibreCAM or Visual Mill, and Dolphin software (they offer a hobbyists discount).

Most of these CAD and CAM programs have 30-day trial versions available and it might be worth trying a few before you decide.

Mike

Is there a reason for all of the programs ?
    For many machine parts which are basically flat pieces with flat-bottom recesses and outlines, there's no need to go 3D at all. Just draw a 2D layout, put outlines on individual layers and assign cutter and depth for each layer in the CAM program.
    Why is it that Alibre can't put out a 2.5D file, but will do 3D?
    There's no such thing as a "2.5D file" actually. 2.5D refers to using a flat DXF file as input and using it to define flat-bottom pockets and outlines. Z is only used to set a depth, and then all machining moves are in X and Y.

When I combine techniques (SheetCam and MeshCAM each have their strengths, and when I use both of them on a workpiece it's to take advantage of each without needing a single $$$ program that does both) I will export an STL for the 3D, and a flat DXF view of the solid from the correct direction for the 2.5D (usually for a tight-tolerance recess or mounting flange for which I want to do separate finishing moves)

"VersaCAD" ...Maybe I'm missing something here..
    Not really, twocik. I started using VersaCAD at an old employer in 1989 (still have the original 360kb DOS installation floppies and registration certificate--signed by myself--that I dug out of the trash when they went to Autocad several years later) and I've been using it for so long that I don't have any incentive to change (I bought the Windows version in 2004). Another advantage for me is its style of Postscript output, which I customize and use for photoetching artwork. But most people will probably like an Autocad clone better for 2D CAD.

Randy

Having recently tried AutoCAD 2006 at work, I was surprised that it really is the old command-line AutoCAD wrapped up in a GUI. Coming from several years of TurboCAD (from V7 to V15), I found AutoCAD quite clunky to use.

My vote for CAD is still TurboCAD (but not the CAM part, since I have not used it). I export IGES files to SprutCAM, and I don't mind running them as separate programs.

For CAM, I'm very happy with SprutCAM 2007. I had to rationalize the price as just another part of the machine to make it work. In other words, I bought the 4th axis without much extra thought, so why should CAM software be different? In the long run, I'm glad I bought it.

Like others have said, you have to put in your time with the demos to see which program makes sense to you. I delayed my Tormach purchase for nearly a year while I decided which CAM program to buy. I tried the demo version of quite a few (even the ones I knew I couldn't afford, just to see how well they worked). Once you can see yourself living with a specific program, buying it will come a lot easier.

Regards (and good luck),

- Just Gary

Found this, think it's a legit deal?

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/pr...&ci_sku=994875

After playing around with TurboCAD, I think I like it. They have a TurboCAD CAM plug in too. So for 2.5D work I can use these two and for 3D work I can use TurboCAD and buy sprutcam for 3D CAM...
    What do you guys think about this workflow/setup ?

twocik -

Read up and ask questions in the TurboCAD/CAM forum before you commit to the 2.5D CAM part, but I really like TurboCAD for CAD work. Getting the package cheap enough is incentive to put up with occasional goofy behavior. And trust me, all CAM software exhibits goofy behavior from time to time.

The price you found is an educational discount, but if you can show them a student ID or something then that's a good price. Taking a machining class at your community college would get you an ID, plus get you a few great tips as well.

Even without that price, TurboCAD shows up heavily discounted fairly regularly. It is springtime, so TurboCAD will probably release V17 soon. Google "TurboCAD price" to find other eye-popping deals. V15 with CAM for $300, for example.

Regards,

- Just Gary

Don

I'm looking into both of these as we speak, looks like a nice little price tag on sprutcam, but can't really find a price on SW.
    twocik:

The price of SprutCAM Pro for Tormach owners is <$1K, http://www.tormach.com/Product_CAM_SprutCAM.html a real bargain considering SprutCAM’s very powerful 3D capabilities (which includes continuous 4th axis and Thread milling). Last year at Westec, MasterCAM gave me a price of $9K+ for their software ( with similar capabilities to SprutCAM) that works with Solidworks. I just ordered the upgrade from SprutCAM 2007 to SprutCAM 7 from Tormach. IMO SprutCAM 7 is one of the best bargains out there and is also compatible with my Windows 7 OS.

Clear skies,
    Don Clement