586,077 active members*
3,591 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    'Nice to see you really moved on this project."
    like a herd of turtles stampeding thu 2" of peanut butter ...lol
    I was reading ghost voltage on my old transformer , so I picked up a 3kva 4:1 stepdown Transformer ,.. it will give me 62 volts ... 34 DC volts will give me 1000 rmp on the servos , which will put me at 100 IPM .lots fast for a rapid on that little machine ..Picked up a Bridge rectifer. 40 amp ,I'll get that on a scope and figure out what I need for Caps.. I'm going for Mach 3 ..plan on using a PLC between the PC and all the stuff. My buddy has mach 3 switching on and off everything we need thru the PLC,may have to run the output into a relays on the bigger stuff.. was going to save all the orginal switches , but having second thoughts ...
    My game plan right now is just get the axis's up and running off the pc ..
    so I'll work on and aquire my power supply ,drives ,box lay-out , ect....

320 System Parameters

My 320 Journeyman i now giving me a Error 03 upon start-up .

I think I need to re-enter the parameters ...manually because the RS-232 connection never worked, and the tape reader isn't working. Does anyone have the parameters written down so I can manually re-enter them?

Gregg

these prams ..are for my 1983 J320 ... look at the attachment below...BTW nice paint job ! it looks great !
    Attached Files Attached Files

I got my cabinets apart , need to get some 16 ga welded on the open backs and modify the Back brackets to get some support for them...
    the rest of the machine is finally cleaned up and primered ....power supply is up running I am running a 35amp bridge for each axis and slave the V belt pulley motor off the Z .... Got my Copely drives mounted that still need wiring up....

It is amazing how big a difference the vinyl logo and stripes makes in the final look of the machine. After paint (Ace paint) It looked like a old big white machine, and now it looks like almost new machine (except for the ancient controls).

Thanks for the parameters.
    I think what I should have asked for is the Machine Setup Mode info. (bottom of page 3-4 that you sent to me). We will see if this solves all my problems or not. I will play with it more on Wednesday.

I tried to run the paper tape per the directions on page 5-1 of the manual. After pressing "read tape" "08" "ent", I received "error 11 T-out". I assume my paper tape reader isn't working properly, so I entered the parameters in manually by going into "Disp" Stat" "7". The parameter table was all zeros before I entered data. Using the data on page 3-4 of the manual I entered P00 up until P39 ...after that I have all zeros.

Now that I've done that, when I attempt to grid the machine - press "grid" and "cycle start", I receive "error 19 no grid axis". Do you know what this error code means? The notes I have says error 19 = "no grid parameters".

I seem to be stuck with error codes and unable to grid the machine.

Does anyone have any information about machine setup mode found by entering "Disp" Stat" "9"? The information I have just says this will enter the machine setup mode. Considering this machine sat unplugged for a year and the memory battery was dead, I suspect any information that was in this file is probably lost too. Do you know what should be in here? My information says these are factory set and I should call the tree distributor or tree directly ...considering tree is long gone and this machine is 26 years old, that might be hard to do. I suspect the grid parameters should be in here.

Any suggestions besides scrap the electronics?
    As long as I brought up scraping the electronics, what is the easiest way to put decent electronics on this 320 Tree without spending a fortune or tossing the motors or the getty drives. (I would rather use the motors and getty drives until they die.) I would like to eventually be able to run more complicated 3d code.

Gregg

Re: Tree Journeyman

Hi J320 owners, I stumbled onto this post, and was just wondering how these projects have panned out. I have recently finished a J320 build that came already upgraded to a Delta 10. Now I have a Delta 50 that I am getting ready to install.
    Looks like the J320 is a rare bird (not in a good way), has anyone replaced the aluminum cased variable sheave spindle drive with a VFD spindle motor setup?

Sorry about the sideways picture, I tried everything I could think of to rotate it 90, but no luck.

Bill

Attachment 265284 Attachment 265290

Re: Tree Journman 320

HI
    I've been tied up with too much other stuff and the mill project got put on hold a couple of years ago . I plan on keeping the v-belt set up and running the vfd on top of that . That will give you better torque when using your low range . I'm getting up a running on this project again and need to get this post updated .

Page 2 of 2 12