586,102 active members*
3,194 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Point cloud editing

I'm working on a 3D scanner idea and when it works it will output 3D point clouds of the object I'm scanning.

What CAD program would allow me to manipulate these files (e.g. remove points to smoothen a surface, turn into 3D solid etc)?

Nikolas

Can Rhino do that without plug-ins? Because I've seen some pointcloud plug-ins for it and other programs.

Thanks, Nikolas

Before I go on, I should say that I have never actually done this (never actually seen a point cloud file). What I have done, is created a text file with just a few points (around 20) and messed around with it. So take this with a grain of salt....

It will open/import point cloud files. From that, you can manipulate the points. Either as a group, or individually. From there, I believe you would have to create curves using the points. Then build your surfaces from the curves you created.

If you have a point cloud file, you could send it to me and I'd be happy to try whatever you think you would need done to it.

Rhino also has an demo download. Unrestricted except it will only save 20 times, if I remember correctly.

Thanks, I don't have a file yet, I'm still working on the software that will create them.

I guess the plug-ins are for automatically creating a surface from the points (some have tool compensation if you digitize with a probe).

When I get to the point that I can create the files I may ask again.

Nikolas

Any CAD or modelling software that allows point editing would work. It might be very tedious, though. And I doubt you'd be able to turn a point cloud into a solid.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)