586,113 active members*
3,235 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > TB6560 board and motors (ebay)

TB6560 board and motors (ebay)

Hi all,
    this is my first experience on CNC stuff. I've bought a 5 axis board form ebay (link) and motors (57BYGH56-401A, link). I know that is cheap material, but is what I can afford by now. I've seen many threads about this (or similar board), but can't find a good answer (I'm italian, not so good on english).

I'm using the board with a 24V - 15A Power supply (from e-bay ), and I'm testing/tuning the motors without attaching them to my DIY MDF machine. Motor turns, but not so good. They are very noisy and when moving slowly, they are absolutley not smooth (toc-toc-toc-toc...) Trying different settings, but missing the point, so let's start from the beggining.

Current Setting
    I can set 100%, 75%, 50%, 25% of current. Specs say they are 2.8A motors, must I set it to 100%? Now I'm trying with 75% (don't want to burn it, noob on electronics).

Decay mode
    Don't know what we are talking about. Playing a bit with dip switches, FAST MODE seems to be the best.

Microstepping
    Full step is a mess, half step works but some steps are lost along the way, 1/8 seems to be smooth. How does it affect the torque and speed?

Someone has used these components with success? I'm looking for a config that make it works as better as possible. After the dip-switch setting, I will play with the "Motor Tuning" dialog in Mach3.

Thank you
    cerberos

Hello -

I don't have the same board, but similar (4 axis), and I finally have it working quite well. I am using it to run an x2 mini metal mill. Some things to check:

1) your cable - make sure it is good. I had fabricated one and missed the grounds on pins 18-25. Swapped it today and all of my drift issues are gone.

2) My settings - 1/8 step, Inches per minute/Acceleration: X=50/5; Y=30/5; Z=30/5

3) Kernel speed - I found it must be at least 35,000 - and am currently using 60,000 with great success (Mach3). Make sure to test with the drivertest.exe file (I think that is what it is called)

4) Use shielded motor cables. Currently using cat5e, but I picked up some 4/20 shielded wire today and will replace soon

5) I am using the 100% power setting, personally. My motors are only 2.1 amps (wired bipolar series) but I have read on this forum that the stated output of the board is over-rated (aka not really 3 amps or 3.5 amps). My motors were mildly warm today after over an hour of running a repeat test pattern for accuracy (3" diameter circle, drilling 36 holes each at 10 degrees, .125" diameter, .001 depth per pass for final depth of .2" - or 20 passes

Also, motors tend not to work well/smooth without some sort of load on them. Seems they need some mass to stabilize them (can't say why - I don't know).

Good luck. I am a noob too - will help where I can.

WW

Thank you for your reply. I will test it as soon as possible.

Thank you again.

TB6560 board and motors (ebay)

Hello, in my previous Cnc controller a3977 [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Napa6lWpbuI"]YouTube- CNC_Litris[/nomedia]* use of Mechatronic and I worked well with no noise.*

Cnc following [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wstu7nPl5K4"]YouTube- Home-made CNC litris[/nomedia]* I've put a controller like this and I tb6560 cin the work first, but rest is very large noise can you solve? I have configured as you and has improved, I have in the normal decay.*

Another thing that happens is genuine at rest if I make any axis force (timing belt) moving them is this normal? In operation I can not very strong.*

Thanks.
    Sorry is translater.

Hey guys. Have you managed to get your TB6560 boards working?
    I'm having a huge problem with resonance at low rpm. I have had the most success with half stepping configuration still not good enough to be considered useful.

I would love to hear from someone who has settings that work on emc2.
    I also fear my motors may be far to big for my driver board. 354 ozIn bipolar.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Eduard

Eduard -

I have my board working on my x2 CNC mill conversion quite well. The issues I suffer from now are purely mechanical (need to work on gibs and way-covers to make things even better). The amp rating of the motors are the most critical. In my case, I'm running with 100% current setting (advertised as 3 amps, 3.5A peak) with motors that should only be 2.1 (wired series bipolar) and the motors don't get too hot and all runs well. To be honest, it seems to run the same at the 75% setting, but I had read on this board that the current it overrated on these boards, so I'm going 100% for now. Even after hours of running a job, the motors, while quite warm, are not uncomfortable to touch. I'm running 1/16 step...and between 25IPM (Z axis), 35IPM (Y axis) and 60IPM (X axis) - plenty fast for my small workspace.

Don't know if that's any help - but the short answer is - yes - I have mine working pretty well. Missed steps that occur now can only be due to mechanical issues (They are rare, but do occur).

WW

Hey wild, Thanks for the reply. What software do you use?

Eduard -

Mach3.

WW

Have to update this post. I was getting missed stop issues on longer run programs again, and couldn't resolve them. I decided to take the plunge for a G540 and 48V power supply. I can honestly say there is no comparison to the TB6560 4 axis board and the G540 (at least in my arrangement, with my motors, x2 mill, etc.). Even using 24V power supply the G540 drives faster, harder, and more accurately. Gib screws can be cranked much tighter, and rapids are much higher.

Just my experience - YMMV.

WW