586,096 active members*
3,834 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc graphic

I have a Fanuc Oi m control and I read in my manuals about tool path graphic and conversational programing.Is any of this available to me or are the special options.

IIRC The FAPT conversational language that Fanuc developed for graphical programming, on older Fanuc's had to have a board installed, but I am not sure on the Oi, most of the options are in the control on Fanuc, they just need turning on. Fanuc should be able to tell you what way you have to go, But usually there is a different keyboard also, with a FAPT selection key on it
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Re: Fanuc graphic

Have you a button marked "custom graph" ?

They call it Dynamic Graphic Display which is an option.
    Set proper machining conditions. Go to AUTO mode. Then,
    CSTM/GR mdi key > GRAPH soft key > OPRT soft key > EXEC soft key
    If you see all the soft keys, the option is available. It would trace toolpath without tool movement.
    If it is not available, you may run the graphics in Program Test Mode. But, after this, you would need to cycle power for actual machining.

Quote Originally Posted by sinha_nsit View Post
    They call it Dynamic Graphic Display which is an option.
    Set proper machining conditions. Go to AUTO mode. Then,
    CSTM/GR mdi key > GRAPH soft key > OPRT soft key > EXEC soft key
    If you see all the soft keys, the option is available. It would trace toolpath without tool movement.
    If it is not available, you may run the graphics in Program Test Mode. But, after this, you would need to cycle power for actual machining.
    All Tornado 220M's have graph facility the button would be "custon graph" not "cstm gr" that will be on the 220 ie 2 axis only machine

The sequence of operation might be similar.

the graphic function could be there but it's not for programming. it merely traces the path. its pretty useless.
    full conversational graphic functions in Fanuc controls requires hardware. you cant turn it on if its not there.

There is no confusion.... the 220M definitely has graphical view, ie tool tip tracing that you can see as the tool moves. and the 220M can also have "manual guide" however this is very rare on a 220M and would require more than just a Fanuc unlock...

The graphical view is very handy when you are programming in type 2 lets say something simple like the thread section of a bolt complete with undercut, the problem is that the undercut is done in one hit and if excessive the graphical view allows you to watch it as it digs in...

So the cutter starting at X=0, Z=0 moves in X to the start of chamfer then along the chamfer, along the "threaded" section then "digs" in to create the undercut and then off up the head.... very handy, if the depth of the undercut is too great you can see it going in and if necessary stop it. more modern machines will allow you to step the undercut.. in my experience most people have no idea of the powers of type 2 programming in respect of double angles and counter bores, and my favourite spheres on the end of a shaft watching the complete ball being turned in one hit :-)

I can tell you exactly what you need to do but I was hoping the OP was going to come back on here ... I have noticed they are active and even looked at this thread but then left ?

Dynamic graphic display traces toolpath without physical tool movement. I often use it for proving a new program. Unexpected toolpath indicates an error in program. Since there is no tool movement, one may execute the program without any apprehension of crash.

It does, but if you step through each line it can be easier and quicker, I haven't had a crash in years doing it my way, if I used CAM then I would definitely use the "DRY RUN" button

Dynamic graphic is quicker than dry run. It traces the toolpath in no time. Step-by-step execution is also possible, for a closer observation, if desired.
    If there is some serious problem in the program, dry run may not be safe.

What do you mean by dynamic graphic ?

All that a 220M has is the graph feature and DRY RUN and on a few "MANUAL GUIDE" nothing else...

Dynamic graphic traces tool path WITHOUT physical tool movement. Refer to Fanuc's Operator's Manual for more detail.
    It is independent of manual guide.

It is also independent of the Tornado220M !!! ie it is NOT fitted or able to be fitted to my knowledge.

It is available on Fanuc controls i-series. Not sure if available on earlier controls also.

not on a 220M 3 axis mill turn