586,100 active members*
3,096 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > can't split big model

can't split big model

I can't seem to split large model (100mb) running winxp 32bit 3.5ghz 4gb ram.
    It always say windows have run out of memory or something like that.
    What did I do wrong here?

Probably nothing... you may have just run out of memory... A 100 MB model on a 32 bit system will take up quite a lot of RAM (check how much it's taking in TaskManager), and over about 1.4-1.6 Gigs of RAM usage, Rhino will crash on a 32 bit system without the 3Gb switch set.

Other things to check:
    See if you have any bad objects in the file. If so fix them.
    Save the file, close and re-open it. This may free up some memory if something went wrong somewhere. Using ClearUndo after you have been working for awhile if you want to clear the Undo memory stack (you will lose your undos though).

Another thing is to try to reduce the memory consumption by doing things piecewise. Is the model you're splitting all one piece? If not, you could try splitting it part by part instead of all at once. Save after each operation and clear undo if necessary.

What tool are you splitting with? Solid booleans will take up more memory and calc time than a simple split or trim. So as a last resort, you can use ExtractSrf to extract all the surfaces around your split plane, split those, then rejoin the parts back together and Cap the (now open) ends...

--ch

As a last resort,

Yes this is 1 piece 100mb model.
    It shows that it is using approx 1.6gb of ram before it runs out of memory
    I use mesh > mesh edit tool > mesh split
    Do rhino runs on winxp 64 bit?

btw it's an STL model file
    I tried ExtractSrf but can not select the stl model or I don't know how to.

Oh, OK, you have a MESH object. You cannot extract surfaces from a mesh. 1.6 Gb before running out of memory is about par for the course for a 32 bit system, so nothing unusual there. Rhino 4 on a 64 bit system (XP, Vista or 7) can use up to about 3.6Gb. You could also try downloading the 64 bit Rhino 5 WIP version, that can use as much memory as your system has got.

At this point there is little you can do, Rhino is (currently at least) not the right tool for splitting large mesh objects... MeshSplit, even under the best of circumstances, is unreliable in Rhino. --ch

Thank you for explainning to me.
    Can you tell me what software is great for splitting large mesh objects?

Well, as far as low-cost, I have really no idea... I haven't worked with that much mesh software. I have the high-end solution - Magics. It will most likely do what you want with no problem. However, it is a many-thousand dollar hunk of software... Maybe you can get a demo version... --ch

Thank you, I will try the demo version is this the right url? http://www.materialise.com/magics?

yep... -ch

try to swith to 3gb mode with windows (it may work after)
    for CNC woodcarving - 3d puzzle - furnitures
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/fabrun/

I don't understand can you explain in detail fabconv?

read here for explanation

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791558.aspx

it gives you more memory for heavy operation
    i use sometime to render big file

what you have to do:
    replace your boot.ini in c:\

by this

[boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professionnel" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professionnel 3gb" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer /3GB
    for CNC woodcarving - 3d puzzle - furnitures
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/fabrun/

how to check if it sucessfully activate the 3gb switch?

I did use the 3gb switch but no luck it still needs more memory. I guess I can't split a 100mb mesh model in rhino

100 megs large sounds like a huge file to me! Huge files may be indicative of modelling error(s), not that I know anything about stl files. But typically bad models won't split properly because of errors, and memory consumption will spiral up indefinitely as the computer chomps away trying to do the impossible.

You might be further ahead to try to make a NURBS based model instead of a mesh.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I don't think it has error in it because I bought this stl mesh model from 3dmodelclub and have a very high details in it. I'm just wondering how to split it up because it is very hard to machined it in 1 piece because of very deep vertical drop.