586,071 active members*
3,941 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Am I making an OK choice?

First off Hello everyone this is my first post.

I have been looking for a benchtop mill to do some aluminum work, but in the future hope to get into making what ever my mind can imagine and my hands will allow. I have a guy that is selling a Rong-fu RF-30, He said I can have it for 600.00 along with everything in the picture, besides all the bits/cutters. for everything He'll take 800.00. I have read mixed feelings about benchtop mills for one, then round colums, then "Harbor Fright" etc, What are your thoughts on this setup? I won't be doing anything major, just starting a hobby.

I'm not an expert by any means, but here's my $0.02.

Although i've seen some mills that are round column doing cnc, i've hear that it is definatley not the best idea. You are better off with some sort of square column mill.

Depending on what your overall budget is, i'd consider looking at either an X3 or an X4 mill. They are decent machines in the 400-600lb range. If you want something bigger and beefier, consider on of the RF40's I think. Look up Hoss' thread on his new machine. That thing is rigid and capable of doing steel. The X3 and X4 can do aluminum quite nicely, and some steel as well.

I have a Syil Super X3 that is CNC'd and I love it. I have made MANY nice parts on it. There is definately some tweaking to be done on one of the X3 or X4's, but it's totally worth it for a really great machine.

Wade

Smile

This could be a good deal if the machine is in fairly new condition.
    Also the additonal Toolholders Cutters may easily be worth that.
    I own a similar Type Mill and it cuts Steel, Aluminum, Brass etc., very resonably.
    This Machine has a far greater Working envelop as a X3, just dose not compare.
    The reason some people dont like the Round Column is that you only have a little over 5. inch of Z-Axes travel on the Quill. When changing Tools of different length it sometimes becomes nessesary to relocate the Head of the machine to a different height wich due to the round column will trow off the alinement with the part. What is needed then is to realign your position in order to continue the work. This is a inconvienient step that will take maybe a minute or two to acomplish. Most often this situation can be avoided by planning ahead and a suitable tooling selection.
    So if maximum efficency is not of great concern the cost versus capabilty of this machine makes it a great choice for a hobby machine.
    If you plan on CNC'ing this machine I recommend making it a 2-Axis CNC and adding a Digital scale to the Z-Axis.
    This would save you lots of money and agrevation and makes for a very capable Machinetool.
    If a full 3 Axis CNC is what you want the Square Column type Machines are much easier to convert wich justifies the extra costs.
    Good Luck

Hi TK. Welcome to the Zone!

Rong Fu is NOT Harbor Fright, but a very nice mill made in Taiwan. It's a cut above other Chinese mills and that's a good price.

The Vise looks to be sub-par and will probably need to be replaced for serious work, but You can't buy even a stand for $200--I say go for it. Enjoy your new hobby.

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Hi TK,

Welcome to the Zone. I have the same mill that I converted to CNC. Yes, the round column is sort of a sore spot with me when changing tools and have to adjust the height of the head to accommodate the tooling clearance. But, it comes in handy in some cases when a high speed spindle is mounted on the column (Trim router). It allows the head to swing around so the high speed spindle can be located in relation to the table center. $800 for everything - Go for it. PM for some CNC conversion tips on this model.

Good Luck,
    Wayne
    Wayne Hill

Thanks for all the responces, As far as the condition the guy says it is in great to excellent condition, he said he bought it from a family that was selling off a lost loved ones machine shop. He said it doesn't look to kave been used much at all, he apparently had to clean quite a few years of dust off the thing. He siad he doesn't have much use for the bits/cutters but didn't want to just let them go in the 600 range. It looks like we going to work out some kind of trade for everything, I have some ammo the guy could use, I just don't have an extra 200 right at the moment to spring for the extras, Hoepfully in the end I'll get it all I know down the road I would regret it if I didn't nab the bits/cutters.
    As far as the vise, yeah i knew right away I'd have to get a better one. I'm pretty excited I couldn't find too much info on the RF-30 as far as value etc. but I was seeing that the rong fu's seem to sell new for much higher than say a central machinery or grizzly comparable. So I figured I couldn't go wrong with a Fu.
    For now I will run manual, But a conversion I'm sure will be in the future plans. Any Idea what an X Y conversion would cost to complete?
    Again, Thanks for the help.

Here's the box of bits/cutters

Derek

It has been a long time that I converted mine, back then the cost was around $2000.- for a 4 Axses Kit.
    4 Servo Motors with Drivers and Powersupply.
    Besides that there where Ballscrews, Nuts and some Bearings.
    And the Aluminum and steel pices to build the mounts maybe add another $400.
    The rest I fabricated myself on the Machine.
    So a 2 Axes Kit would be about half of that but over the years prices have come down a bit and you could easely shave of a bit of that too.

Quote Originally Posted by TKmech21 View Post
    For now I will run manual, But a conversion I'm sure will be in the future plans. Any Idea what an X Y conversion would cost to complete?
    You could pattern your XY conversion after Asammons' work:

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75921

I would recommend you use a $250 G540 two $50 Keling 381s and a $60 Keling 48V 7.3A PSU. You should be able to do this for under $800.

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.