586,051 active members*
3,748 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Gecko Wiring

Gecko Wiring

Greets everybody, I was reading the manual for my new Gecko 540, and looking a the schematics for the wiring of the limit switches etc. I noticed that the DC relay coils have a seperate power supply. The reason I ask is that I have a relay for my router control, do I need to purchase another power supply to run this relay?

Qualls

Hi,
    I'll start by quoting part of section 9 in the manual:
    Connect one end of the load to the output and connect the other end of the load to a positive DC voltage. This voltage may be the G540 power supply or it may be a separate power supply having a different voltage.
    What this means is that if the coil voltage of your relay is the same as the voltage of the powersupply powering the G540 then you don't need a second supply. However, if you're using a 48VDC powersupply for the G540 but the relay coils is 12V then you need a 12V supply for the relays.

It is possible to use a resistor in series with the coil to drop the voltage but to calculate the resistor value and power rating you need to know the powersupply voltage, relay coil voltage and relay coil current.

/Henrik.

Just use this 48V relay, and connect it to your 48V PSU:

http://www.newark.com/tyco-electroni...lay/dp/66F6698

In Oz:
    http://homanndesigns.com/store/index...products_id=88

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

I picked up one of the Tyco relays ( http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/pro...og&sku=17M3058 ). I went with the 12v since I have it available - it's running two of the cooling fans.

Here's the datasheet ( http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/datasheets/T9A_DS.pdf ). My relay does not have the Normally Closed connector.

Would someone mind running me through the connections from my G540 to the relay to the PS (-)? I think I understand it, but really don't want to make a mistake.

Thank you,
    Dan

There's a picture on the last page of the G540 manual showing exactly what your trying to do.

Connect the negative terminal of you 12V powersupply to the negative terminal of the supply powering the G540. Then connect +12V to one side of the relay, connect the other side of the relay to the G540 output.

Quote Originally Posted by H.O View Post
    There's a picture on the last page of the G540 manual showing exactly what your trying to do.

Connect the negative terminal of you 12V powersupply to the negative terminal of the supply powering the G540. Then connect +12V to one side of the relay, connect the other side of the relay to the G540 output.
    Thank you for the reply, I've read the G540 manual, but my setup isn't like theirs. My 12v PS is running on it's own AC input so I'm not understanding why I'd run a wire between it and the 48v supply.

I want to be sure that the wire leading from the relay (to the PS) is the N.O. and the wire going from the relay to the G540 is the COM.

Thank you,
    Dan

The G540 outputs are what is know as open collector outputs. That means they act like a switch to "ground" which in this case is the negative of your 48V powersupply.

You connect the negative of the 12V supply to the negative of the 48V supply to create a "common ground" for the two supplies. That way the G540's output can switch the 12V relay - just as shown in the manual.

Note, this is all on the secondary "low voltage" side of both power supplies we're talking here. It has nothing to do with the primary "AC-side".

I want to be sure that the wire leading from the relay (to the PS) is the N.O. and the wire going from the relay to the G540 is the COM.
    Now you're really confusing me.... I thought you wanted to switch the relay on and off with the output on the G540. If so you connect the coil of the relay between +12V and the G540 output. Not the relay contact.... Am I missing something?

/Henrik.

Quote Originally Posted by H.O View Post
    The G540 outputs are what is know as open collector outputs. That means they act like a switch to "ground" which in this case is the negative of your 48V powersupply.

You connect the negative of the 12V supply to the negative of the 48V supply to create a "common ground" for the two supplies. That way the G540's output can switch the 12V relay - just as shown in the manual.

Note, this is all on the secondary "low voltage" side of both power supplies we're talking here. It has nothing to do with the primary "AC-side".

Now you're really confusing me.... I thought you wanted to switch the relay on and off with the output on the G540. If so you connect the coil of the relay between +12V and the G540 output. Not the relay contact.... Am I missing something?

/Henrik.
    Sorry for the confusion, Henrik. It was 2AM here and I had a brain fart.

I understand what you're saying about connecting the DC negatives of the two PS. I will do that.

Thank you,
    Dan