586,077 active members*
3,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

Clausing 12" Series 100 MK3a CNC Conversion

All Righty....

I've been meaning to get a post going on this and I thought I better git-r-dun before I got too far into the project.

A little background first....

A couple of years ago, I bought a Clausing Series 100 MK3a lathe. My original intentions were to restore it, but after looking for the correct motor mount and the countershaft assembly for the last two years (don't ask about those parts on ebay that I ....just... missed a few months ago....) I finally decide to CNC it. I know this may really PO some old-timer off, but I want a CNC lathe and this one is going to be it. Plus, I think it might be cool to have a 1940s lathe with 2010 electronics.

With that...on with the build.

Picture 1:
    I already started the conversion here. I have my 220v treadmill motor mounted where I want it. It works great with the KB Electronics KBCC-225R motor controller. I now have variable speed control on it. I could not mount the motor where the stock motor was because I took out the countershaft assembly and there was not room through the headstock to run the belt down without first going through the countershaft assy. So...I have it up high and out of the way when I add coolant on this. And...the lathe now gets around 1900 rpm where before it only hit around 800. The headstock has bearings and not babbit bearings so it should handle the new RPMs nicely.

Picture 2:
    All the gears and quick change gear box is going. Going on ebay that is....

Picture 3:
    Another view of the motor setup. I should note that I am going to build a motor and belt cover once this gets rebuilt. If I don't get it tore down this weekend, then next weekend.

Picture 4:
    The original Clausing stand. Not sure if I will reuse this or build a new stand.

Picture 5:
    The electronics. The box is an old Gateway 2000 computer case. Yeah...back in the day Gateway had 2000 in their name. You can see the KB controller and the power supply. Still need to clean up the excess wiring. The computer power supply is running four (4) cooling fans in the case. The original power button up front controls it yet. I have the front of the case and the outer case being painted. The case and lathe will be dark red with Carbon Fiber decals over all the aluminum pieces going into this.

Picture 6:
    Various bits and pieces that I have collected. Let' see if I can identify them...
    Should be about three Compumotor OEM750 drivers. I only need two, but I got a heck of a price on them on ebay. So I bought them all...

I have three Pacific Scientific motors. The big one is a NEMA 42. The other two are NEMA 34. I am using the 42 and the smaller 34 on the build.

To the right are the ball screw mounts for the bed. In the back is the 1.125" Thompson ballscrew.

Lots of wiring, connectors, and other pieces are in the picture too.

I have the ballscrew for the crossfeed on another bench.

Until next time....

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe1.JPG   lathe2.JPG   lathe3.JPG   lathe4.JPG  

lathe5.JPG   lathe6.JPG  

A small update from the weekend.

Picture 7.
    The front of the Gateway 2000 case with the filler pieces installed. The color came out sort of orange. It is actually a dark red.

Picture 8.
    The rear view of the front case. I have my two OEM750 drivers mounted.

Picture 9.
    I have a 4" 12v fan mounted in the top of the case for air circulation. It runs off the original power supply from the computer case. I made this grille for it. It is about 6" x 6" with a bunch of holes drilled in it in a circular pattern. I painted it black and trimmed it in the carbon fiber sticker stuff.

Picture 10.
    Not much left. It only took about a half hour to strip it down. The aluminum flat at the end is for the ballscrew mounts.

Not pictured:
    I bought some 2" x 2" 1/8" wall square tubing today and I'll start building the new base this weekend.

Anyone planning on following the build? I see I have almost 70 views and not a single comment. But, I guess I haven't gotten anything really exciting done yet.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe7.JPG   lathe8.JPG   lathe9.JPG   lathe10.JPG  

oh there are definately ppl following this.

so in what shape are the ways in? and are you gonna paint it?
    Shaun
    my x2 conversion ------> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36403

Quote Originally Posted by skmetal7 View Post
    oh there are definately ppl following this.

so in what shape are the ways in? and are you gonna paint it?
    The ways appear to be in great shape. I cannot feel any wear near the headstock where there is normally wear.

It is getting painted the same dark red color as the control box. The base will be black or dark grey.

I was hoping on converting this without drilling into the bed casting. I wanted to be able to put this back to original if needed, but that is looking like a lost cause. I am going to need about 6 holes for the ballscrew mounting pads.

Stay tuned...more happening this weekend.

Mike

We are watching, just not posting anything.

When you start on a conversion, you almost always want to keep the machine in its original state, but 99% of the time, you will have to make some minor modifications. After the first couple holes you stop crying and start thinking "its going to be all right in the end". Hehe. Worst thing would be to drill the holes the wrong place. You only have one shot at this. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by The Blight View Post
    We are watching, just not posting anything.

When you start on a conversion, you almost always want to keep the machine in its original state, but 99% of the time, you will have to make some minor modifications. After the first couple holes you stop crying and start thinking "its going to be all right in the end". Hehe. Worst thing would be to drill the holes the wrong place. You only have one shot at this. Good luck!
    Realistically....I will probably never put this back to stock anyway. For one, all the parts that are left over are going on ebay and they will be hard to find and buy again. Plus, the lathe will actually be worth more as a CNC conversion anyway. The parts that I do sell should pay for a good portion of the conversion too.

I'm still going to get at least a little sniffle when I drill that first hole.

Mike

Update for Saturday 20 Mar 10:

Pressured washed the bed and headstock today. I'm going to tear the headstock down again and re-pack the bearings after hitting it with the high pressure hose. Plus it will be easier to paint the inside of the headstock.

Got the stand pretty well roughed in. The first picture shows the main frame tacked together and I laid the bed in and started figuring out where I wanted the bed positioned.

The second picture shows where I left off today. I have a slight twist from one end to the other, but it should be OK.

I forgot to get my leveling feet ordered. I just got them bought on Friday. Should be here this week sometime.

Next, I want to rebuild the motor mount and get it mounted to the new frame a little differently.

I might build the stand for coolant too. Not sure I am going to run coolant yet. It will be easier to build it with coolant in mind now than later since I'd have to haul all of this down to the shop again because I don't have a welder at home.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe_stand1.JPG   lathe_stand2.JPG  

Update for Monday 22 Mar 10

Got a few more things accomplished.

First picture is a closeup of the way I fabricated my supports for the lathe bed. The angle iron is 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" with 6" x 5/8" 6061 aluminimum on top.

Second picture is the motor mount cleaned up and I redid the support piece going down to the frame. Before, I had a chunk of 1" x 1" square tubing welded in. It looked horrible. The aluminum bar stock is much cleaner.

Third and fourth pictures are the rear and the front of the cross slide.

I am thinking about mounting the NEMA 34 motor on the back of the cross slide. Any reason not to?

I got a little more wiring done and repainted the case a darker shade of red. I'll post pictures once I get the box all wired and put back together.

Next weekend I plan on mounting the ballscrews.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe_mount.JPG   motor_mount.JPG   cross_slide_rear.JPG   cross_slide_front.JPG  

Weekend update:

I had a lot going on this weekend and didn't get much of anything done. Had a wedding to participate in and I am working on a Masters degree in Information Technology full-time. Just started a couple of new classes this weekend on top of everything. I also work full-time. Life is not boring anyway.

I had *planned* on getting the ballscrews mounted...or at least a good start on them. I only got a couple of hours to work on this and an hour of that was to stop at Menards for some flat bar stock and a hole saw.

Got the self-leveling feet in late last week. I got the mounting pads cut and that is about all the furthest I got.

AND to make matters worse....my job is pretty much keeping me on the road through the month of April and that includes the weekends. I should get back on this in May.

Till then....

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails feet.JPG  

Cool Build.

I mounted the stepper for my little lathe on the front side of the cross slide, as that was where there were mount holes. I don't think it makes a significant difference whether at the front or back.
    Regards,
    Mark

Very cool project Mike!

I have access to several treadmill motors and have retrofitted my WEBB mill with a 3hp and KBCC control.

I've just purchased a Supermax CNC mill and I'm going to swap out the spindle drive motor with another 3hp treadmill motor, KB control, but this time I'm looking at their KB signal isolator to be able to control the motor from my Fagor cnc control.

Have you used one of these?....

http://www.kbelectronics.com/catalog...ntrol_prod.htm

The Model KBSI-240D Signal Isolator provides an isolated interface between non-isolated signals and KB motor speed controls. Signal sources include process controllers, transducers, microprocessors and programmable controllers. The maximum output voltage of the KBSI is 10 volts, which is a linear function of the input. The unit is versatile, since a single model accepts a wide range of voltage (0-25, 0-120 and 0-550VDC) and current (1-5, 4-20 and 10-50mA) signals, multi-turn trimpots are provided for Min and Max. The KBSI can be operated from either 115V or 230VAC 50/60Hz.

Dimensions:
    2.7" x 4.8" x 1.1".

Models where used:
    KBMM
    KBIC
    KBCC
    KBPB
    KBPC
    KBRG
    KBWD

Thanks for posting!

No, I haven't used the isolator. I am just using the KBCC-240D controller for now. I wanted to keep the electronics as simple as possible and if I find a need to add more stuff, I will rewire it then.

My job has kept me on the road since Apr 1st. I am leaving again for another three weeks, but I hope at the end of June, I can get my life back and get going on the project. My goal is to have this running by August at the latest.

Mike

The way I understand it, the KB isolater allows your CNC computer to control the KB drive for your spindle motor.

That's what I'm wanting to do anyway,.

I'll have to take a look at that if I decide to have the PC control the spindle speed. My plans was to use the C6 board from CNC4PC.com here:

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...products_id=58

Mike

I'mmmmmm baaaaaaaaaaack!

After being on the road for what seems like forever, I'm finally back on the project and I think I had a fairly productive day. I got the main ballscrew partly bolted in place. The pictures tell the story.

The first two are of the aluminum mounts for the new ballscrew mounts.

The next three is of the ballscrew bolted in with one bolt on each end for now.

I have maybe one issue. I bolted the front mount in with one bolt. I then used my dial indicator mounted on top of the carriage and checked the ballscrew for horizontal alignment. I got it 0'd from one end to the other and proceeded to drill and tap for the screw for the back mount. After I got done, I rechecked the alignment and now I am off around .004. Is this a big deal?

I'm also bolting the bottom of the aluminum plate at the bottom. I just did not drill the holes yet. Thought I would get the ballscrew mounted and see how it turned out.

I still need to check the ballscrew alignment from the front of the ballscrew to the front of the carriage. I'll shim it out as needed.

And disregard that "FREE" sign in back. I forgot to turn it around before I took the pics.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fr_mount.JPG   rr_mount.JPG   ballscrew1.JPG   ballscrew2.JPG  

ballscrew3.JPG  

Latest update....got the carriage mount to the main ballscrew done.

First picture is the parts and all the bolts layed out.

Second and Third are of the parts mounted on the lathe.

Fourth is with the cover in place.

I have to say, I am quite pleased how this turned out. I think it cleaned up the front of the lathe considerably. I've been thinking of drawing up a little design for the front of some sort and engraving it in.

I am trying to decided what to do with all the aluminum pieces. The lathe itself will be a dark red color. I am thinking of polishing and clear powdercoating the aluminum pieces that will be in the open. Was also thinking of just cleaning them up and leaving them natural. I could paint them the same dark red too. So many choices...

The stand will be black. Whatever I do with the aluminum on the lathe, I am going to do the same with the aluminum on the stand.

Looking back, this was easy. I am going to start on the cross slide now. This might not be so easy. I have a clearance issue with the ballnut for the cross slide, but I think I have a plan....

As always...comment are welcome (and appreciated).

Stay tuned.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carriage Parts1.JPG   Carriage Parts2.JPG   Carriage Parts3.JPG   Carriage Parts4.JPG  

Update for 12 Jul 2010:

Got the cross slide ball screw in today. It went better than what I thought it was going to.

Picture one shows all the parts laid out. I decided not to use the one ballscrew mount (the one almost in the center of the picture) and decided to integrate it into a new mount that mounted on my new front carriage plate. The huge plate on the left (part of the rear motor mount actually) got cut down about an hour after the photo was taken.

Pic 2 is the front of the lathe without any of the ballscrew pieces installed.

Pic 3 is the front with the ballscrew mount installed. I only have two bolts holding it together, because I have had to take this apart for what seemed like every five minutes.

Pic 4 is the rear shot before anything was installed.

Pic 5 is the rear ballscrew mount and part of the motor mount installed. The motor mount plate ended up getting shortened shortly after this picture was taken.

Pic 6 is with the cross slide installed. It turns smoothly and I cannot detect any play in the cross slide.

I am starting to work on the motor mount now. It will be installed somewhat under the lathe with a cover protecting it from the planned flood coolant that I want to install. It should turn out well.

I also have my gears and belt coming for the motor to cross slide ballscrew. I went with a 1:1 ratio and will see how that works out.

As always...I welcome comments and suggestions!

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cross slide1.JPG   cross slide2.JPG   cross slide3.JPG   cross slide4.JPG  

cross slide5.JPG   cross slide6.JPG  

Smile

Update fo 19 Jul 2010:

I got quite a bit accomplished today. Here are the pics:

1: Motor mount parts. The piece on the left is the larger piece from last week's posting. It is now cut down to the correct size.

2: This is a backside shot of the motor mount (the middle part). The standoffs are 1-1/4" square 6061 aluminum 1-7/8" long.

3: Another view.

4: Motor mount and motor installed. I will eventually add a cover over this.

5: Side view.

6: Side view.

I need to work next weekend, so probably won't have a lot going on. I think I am at the point where I can tear this down and start hauling it home.

COMMENTS WELCOMED! Let me know what ya think!
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails motor mount1.JPG   motor mount2.JPG   motor mount3.JPG   motor mount4.JPG  

motor mount5.JPG   motor mount6.JPG  

More updates for 19 Jul 2010:

I also made a tray for flood coolant if I decide I want flood going on it. I figure it is easier to install it now while I have it down at the shop, than later and have to tear everything down again and haul the stand back to the shop for welding.

Pic 1: Side view. I need to enclose the side and front with metal yet.

Pic 2: Another side view. I am using a rain gutter to collect the coolant. It will be sloped to one end with a drain installed. I will place dehumidifier filter material over the top to catch the chips. I am using this system on my mill and it works great.

Pic 3: This is the stuff I will use to cover the chipboard. It is some sort of plastic roofing material that I got at the local lumber yard. I used this stuff on the floor of my mill enclosure and it works great.

I still need to design a enclosure over all of this. Still contemplating that one.

Like always....Comments welcomed.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chip tray1.JPG   chip tray2.JPG   chip tray3.JPG  

Here are some of the things I need to do yet:

1. I am going to make some sort of cover for the motor that is under the bed. I will need something in case I run flood coolant on this.

2. I want to figure out some sort of enclosure for the top.

3. I still need to enclose the sides and front of the stand for the floor coolant.

4. The far right ballscrew mount still needs another mounting bolt or two installed.

5. Get the electronics wired. I have it all bench wired, I just need to get it all installed in the case and hard wired.

6. Clean up and paint the lathe and stand.

7. Teardown and rebuild the headstock as needed.

That should be a good portion of the to-do list.

Mike

Page 1 of 4 123