586,102 active members*
2,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Relay question

I have this breakout board,,,http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-122/index.html

The relays contacts are rated for,,,10amps @125vac 5amps @230vac and 5 amps @ 50vdc

I need to use this relay to open and close a circuit (plasma torch trigger).
    I realy have no way of testing how many amps and volts run through the trigger of my plasma torch as the wiring run directly into a large circuit board. I removed the button switch in the gun and found it was rated for,,, 6amps@ 28vdc.

My question is, will this relay on this breakout board be able to handle the amount of current that is running through my trigger(6amps@28vdc)?
    If not can I use this relay to control a larger mechanical relay with its own small power supply? say a 12v relay that can handle 10 amps@ 48vdc?

I'm no electrical eng, just making sure I don't smoke my new board.

I'm no electrical engineer either but, 5A x 50V = 150W and 6A x 28V = 168W thus I wouldn't do it (too close for comfort... and safety). It will have no problem switching the 12V relay as current is normally in the milliamps range.
    Stupid questions make me smarter...
    See how smart I've become at www.9w2bsr.com ;-P

In practice the current rating can not be exceeded, plus depending on application the current must have a rating factor. But the contacts on the relay should be more then enough to power a bigger relay or contactor. Most of the motor controls are just 24vdc coils on all the motor starters that i work with. So the 5amp contacts on the relay should work to run another relay or contactor. Plus this will give you another level of control from your bob relay. You wouldn't want to blow your bob when you can get a relay for $10.
    Have a good one.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by shortbus
    If not can I use this relay to control a larger mechanical relay with its own small power supply? say a 12v relay that can handle 10 amps@ 48vdc?

I'm no electrical eng, just making sure I don't smoke my new board.

That's exactly what you do.

Your going to want something designed for high switching cycles. Or something cheap and easy to replace like an ice cube relay that would be good for ~100,000 cycles.

Murphy