586,076 active members*
3,740 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > 5 axis CAM software reccomendations

5 axis CAM software reccomendations

I am looking for feedback from users that have 5 axis machines. My company currently has a 3 axis cnc router (CMS) and is just starting the process of looking at a 5 axis machine for some new products that require 5 axis machining. If we move ahead with purchasing a 5 axis, it will be another CMS machine. I design in Solidworks.
    So, a couple of questions.

1. What cam software do you use?
    2. Likes and dislikes
    3. What cad software do you use for your surface modeling?
    4. How has tech support and training been for you from your cam company?
    5. Approximate cost of software and maintenance fees.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

There are many options in the industry when selecting a 5x CAM package. Be mindful that while many companies offer a 5x solution, there are greatly varying degrees of how these solutions work, and you do get what you pay for when it comes to CAM. Sometimes the difference in 5x CAM functionality you cannot even see from the programming seat, its at the machine where the difference shine through.

Hopefully I'm not scaring you away, because through it all there are some great software packages that take 5x seriously, but these usually come at a higher cost, but they pay for themselves sooner with more efficient programming, better and safer machine control and a better product coming off the machine in the end.

Since you mentioned Solidworks, I would at least take a look at Hypermill from Openmind technologies. They are pretty highly regarded for their 5x technology and they are a Soidworks gold partner to boot!

Hsm400 give you general idea and all 5 axis software is expensive. There are so many to choose from and they all plus and minus. I like Topsolid but everything seem to be support in french.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

We use ESPRIT (ESPRIT Mold) from Auton in Italy. Integrated as part of ESPRIT now. Very nice.

2. Likes and dislikes - its easy...for general 5x and specialized (blades). and generates very very smooth, fast cutting toolpath. tested on heidenhein and fanuc controllers - Mikron, Mori Seiki, DMG and Makino.

4. How has tech support and training been for you from your cam company? it has been excellent.

I have heard good reports about the usability of GibbsCAM. I think I will be going with that when it comes time to purchase.

I only have 3-axis now, it is BobCAD. I love it, but that top out at 4th axis indexed. No full 4th or 5th axis options.

I model in SolidWorks.

As the previous posters have commented there is a massive range of software out there. The best one is the one that allows you to program the parts you want to machining quickly, easily and with no mistakes.
    That depends on many things exactly what and how you’re machining and what you’re expecting to get from the 5 axis and how you’re expecting to utilise it.
    We have been using 5 axis for 9-10 years now and are looking at a CMS to expand our capabilities. I have been looking into the best options for upgrading/changing our current software.
    We almost exclusively trim and drill in full 5 axis so many of the built in cycles are no good to us.
    Current options are upgrade our MasterCAM V9 to X4, PowerMill by Delcam, HyperMill by OpenMind and Catia V5 manufacturing add on to our current design seat.
    Initially cost difference is not that huge however if you have to buy a full Catia licence it does make that expensive.
    Having had a general overview of each package from my point of view there is little to choose from on the actual CAM side however the most important thing is the post and will it get you what you want. The answer to that is largely down to the support you get. There won’t be a foc post with MasterCAM or HyperMill, PowerMill there might be one. So you will have one written for you and then will require it tweaking to get it right.
    This is one of the main reasons we are looking at changing from MasterCAM. I have read many threads and post on this forum about how good MasterCAM is and how good the support is. Being in the US this might be accurate you have a lot of different resellers and I’m sure you could get one that can fully support you. Unfortunately this side of the pond it’s just not available. I don’t want to be overly critical but most times we contacted support we solved the problems before they got back to us, if they ever did. We never did get 5 axis posts that worked properly I’ve improved them over time but have come to the limit of my abilities! Hence why we stopped paying for support and stayed at V9.

I don’t want to put you off MasterCAM as there are a lot of good comments about it on here.

My current favourite is PowerMill closely followed by HyperMill. The main reason is the support side. The software especially with PowerMill is written in the same time zone as I am in. If I contact support I talk to the people who wrote the software and posts. With MasterCAM I talk to our reseller who talks to the company that wrote the post, if they can’t fix then they talk to the guys in the US.
    With you being in the US you may well find you will get the best support with MasterCAM.

The most important thing is get demo’s of as many different software’s as you can. Don’t go with there look at what it can do give then a real part you would want, best if it is an awkward one and ideally test the program if possible, CMS might be able to help you with that one. I can apply a toolpath very quickly in MasterCAM and crash the machine even faster, if I don’t check and test it in Vericut first.
    If you're able to have a play with the software when they give the demo might give a feel as which you get on best with.

I’m sure there are many who would disagree with me but that’s just my experience.

One last thing it is well worth paying for CAM software that has true G code simulation or buying Vericut as stand alone software. Some of the parts we’ve done recently I would have wasted over a week running trials on the machine and scrapped several very expensive parts in the process, just to get one good part. It might seem like a big outlay but it’s worth it.

Good posts. Our machine is scheduled to arrive in November. I have in my mind Delcam's Powermill, and Mastercam as front runners right now. I have not ruled out Espirit or Gibbs at this moment though.
    The IMTS is in Chicago this September and I plan on spending a couple of days there talking and viewing demos from many of the CAM software companies there. I have a list of questions and will be bringing a thumb drive with some files that I want to see programmed and simulated. Hopefully I can walk out the show with a good idea of who I will go with.
    I agree with you smokey about getting what you pay for in software and simulation. It may cost you a bit up front for good software with tool collision detection, but how many crashes does it take to pay for that?

Paul

Reliable and extremely easy to use 5-axis...

You should look at WorkNC. It combines really reliable 5-axis toolpaths with ease of to use. Check out its Auto 5 functionality that automatically converts 3-axis toolpaths to 5-axis. http://www.sescoi.com/products/workn...tudies/5-axis/