586,121 active members*
3,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Completed the ModularCNC Router 2009v1 Free Plans

Completed the ModularCNC Router 2009v1 Free Plans

After reading everything I could find, including a lot of CNC Zone, I decided to build a DIY CNC Machine. I used the free plans from ModularCNC, and slowly made my through the cut-out and build. Most of the machine is made with 3/4" MDF.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC Machine.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	103035

And here are a few test cuts...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CutExample.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	103036

I am writing my build up in a blog, slowly adding everything I have done...only a little there so far, but more pictures and write-up to follow. Here is the link to the BLOG.

The build was a lot of fun...and frustrating.

I am using NEMA 17 Stepper motors, 75oz/in, the Univelop 3-axis Stepper motor driver board, and a 20v 6 amp power supply.

I have about 12" x 12" x 3.5" cutting area.

More to follow...

Good work! Did you cut everything out by hand?

I used a radial arm saw and a drill press for most of the work. I try not to cut by hand as it is never as straight as I would like...

Quote Originally Posted by leggazoid View Post
    Good work! Did you cut everything out by hand?

Looks pretty good. I'd try to get any unprotected wood either painted or clearcoated, and MDF doesn't like moisture. Looks excellent otherwise though

How happy are you with it's performance with such little torque? Do the motors seem to drive it just fine?

Now that everything is running, I plan to paint all the "stationary" parts and I will put a clear coat on the rest. All of the MDF will be coated in something.

As far as the motors, they do a pretty good job, I am just doing a bunch of testing now, and I am running them at 10 ipm just to make sure everything is working ok, I will try to up the speed as I get a little more comfortable with everything. Overall, I am very pleased, I will try to mill a printed circuit board this weekend and see how it does. I already have request from friends for all sorts of things.

I think it will keep me busy in my spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse B View Post
    Looks pretty good. I'd try to get any unprotected wood either painted or clearcoated, and MDF doesn't like moisture. Looks excellent otherwise though

How happy are you with it's performance with such little torque? Do the motors seem to drive it just fine?

I have done a few more test, I did a small raised relief carving of the Dodge Ram emblem at 4 x 4 inches in MDF and I ran the machine at 24 ipm, the carving turned out great, and the machine ran the 24 ipm with no problem. I used a 1/16" ball nose end mill.

I will post a photo later...

I plan to keep turning up the speed (depending on material and bits) until I get the best speed out of the machine.

What is a good speed to expect from this type of machine? I am still pretty new at this.