586,313 active members*
3,715 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Damaged servo motor

I have been modifying and installing a used Trak A.G.E. 3 control system on my Sharp bed mill and have damaged one of the servo motors by trying to tap the mounting holes just a little deeper to accept a standard length bolt. I didn't realize that the magnets were what I felt as my tap started to increase drag a little, and "pop!", the damage was done. One shattered magnet and $620 for a new motor from Southwestern Industries - owch! I've followed a few leads on the web, but no luck yet.

Does anybody here have a used or burnt out motor from a Trak or Proto trak system they'd be willing to part with? All I really need is the outer housing that contains the magnets. The brand is Magnetek, and the model is 4020D-155, part # 22320900.

Any leads appreciated!

Thanks

Shop owner

Since I received no replies and didn't want to part with $620 without a fight, I gathered all the chunks and fragments of the magnet I could find, and carefully using high temp quick set epoxy, re-attached each piece one at a time back where it came from. I used a wooden dowel and a wedge against the opposing magnet to hold the fragments seated while the epoxy cured. The pieces wanted to jump away rather than be attracted to the magnet assembly. It was also very important to remove all tiny fragments with a vacuum, tape, toothpick, or brush before attempting to fit each fragment. More than half of the magnet was shattered so all the time I've spent on puzzles with my grandma finally paid off!

It's been almost three years since the repair, and no problems, good as new. Hope this might help someone in a similar situation in the future.

Woody

Use sticky tape to pick up the whiskers off the magnet.
    At worst the motor now runs a little faster for the same voltage, and the torque reduces by the same ratio that the speed increased.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.