586,042 active members*
3,839 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Kennametal Insert

Maybe some one can help me I was thinking of buying this but are unsure of what insert it takes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kennametal.jpg  

I don't know what inserts it takes, but they do look quite proprietary, rare, and expensive. That looks like a 3" cutter with a 3/4" straight shank. I ask you what kind of work are you looking to do that you'd want to use such a large diameter cutter but use a small shank? It looks like a lousy design, probably a special made for a specific customer application.

If you are doing a face mill operation to a shoulder, get a 90º cutter with current, readily available inserts and an integral shank for your machine. (R8, CAT, BT) If you are doing face milling and there's no shoulder to worry about, get a cutter with a high lead angle.

It'll cost a wee bit more to find a current cutter, but you'll save in not having search high & low for inserts. Tell me what machine you have and what operations you need the cutter to do, and I'll recommend some.

Is the picture of the insert seats?

This is maybe a seen style insert.

Any numbers on holder?

Quote Originally Posted by leggazoid View Post
    Is the picture of the insert seats?

This is maybe a seen style insert.

Any numbers on holder?
    Looking at the photo, though it's tiny, I believe it's a custom radius cutter for corner rounding. Hard to tell for sure, but it also appears to have a pocket on one side for some reason, though it could be just shadowed coating from a top clamp or something else.

Too many other cutters out there with readily available inserts to be buying a special unless it's just what you need. If it is a special, you could probably send the I.D. numbers to someone @ Kennametal and see if the inserts are still stocked or available as a custom-made one.

Just what type of milling does the O.P. need to do?

Talking Milling Cutter

Tell us, why were you thinking of buying this tool? Just because you can get it cheap?

What is the material you want to cut with it?

How do you intend to use it, roughing or finishing?

What RPM & Feedrate?

How do you intend to mount it?

The picture you have shown appears to show the actual insert pockets and / or support pockets for the actual inserts that are held in with a small clamp and screw. It looks kind of an older stlye cutter and looks to hold a TMG insert. Which is neither bad or good, solely depending upon your usage. Cutter selection can at times dictate their usage and cost on the initial cost of the cutter and the replacement cost of the inserts and how often do you need to replace them. Of course your tool life will be longer if you are makeing light cuts in aluminum and much shorter if cutting some harder material.
    Larger diameter cutters usually have at least a 1.0" shank. I would think if this tool has a 3/4" shank it would be more inclined to be used on lighter type cuts.

I did not end up buying it .

I do need to buy one though .
    I need a tool to prep my metal stock , to make it even and flat . Large sheets of aluminum stock very large.
    . Im thinking a Fly cutter or face mill is what ill need.

I just got a hold of this and I currently own it.

Where can I get inserts for this? They are round I know that .
    A company Stellram Ati Engineered products make it.
    Should I just go to my local MSC industry supply company bring it with me and see what happens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails facemill.jpg  

I don't understand why you bought that one (or any) without first researching it for insert availability. Hard to tell from that photo, but it looks to be upside down for what you're trying to do. It looks like a specialty cutter for perhaps milling up under a surface rather the top of surface because the inserts appear to be on the mounting side toward the machine spindle.

ATI Stellram is still very much in business. Google is your friend. Going to your local MSC could very-well be a waste of time. They rarely have people in stores that know anything more than the difference between a cloth or leather glove.

Now knowing your application I could have helped you select something affordable and current that's appropriate for the task and has inserts readily available. Best of luck to you with your new cutter.

I dont know why I didnt notice that I feel like a ass now.

Talking Mill Cutter

Arich908,

Don't feel bad about making mistakes. We are all human and even the best of the best makes mistakes.

When you do not know, you do not know. That is why you are on this forum, to improve your knowledge and to ask questions.

PixMan is correct about your second tool picture. We call these Mill cutters or Scallop cutters. Used for making special cuts.

For the application you described, a large diameter fly cutter is what you would use.

You can make your own or puchase one. For your application I would think you might want to be using one that is a minimum of 4.0" diameter and most likely 6.0" diameter.

One of the ones we have is a 4-flute, carbide insert, high positive, 4.0" diameter cutter. it says SPABO Made in Germany on it.

I will see if I can find out more about it and post it.

Fly cutter

I could not find any thing further on the cutter I described before. I think it may have been discontinued but may have been an old HERTEL cutter.

Many manufacturers make tools like these.

Good Luck.

(nuts)

look at ebay for a 3" apkt face mill , you can easily get one for less than $100 + insert costs , this way you'll be using a fairly standard tool and inserts and you will be able to get inserts from most machine tooling companies easily
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........