586,108 active members*
3,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

WTB: 3D scanner

Hi Everyone,

New here, looking for a 3D scanner, handheld unit if available...contemplating a Nextengine unit to hold me over till I can find a handheld 3D scanner.

Using it to measure various automotive related OEM parts to establishment car fitment(s), render to solidworks and modify for our usage.

So, if you have anything let me know via PM.

Thanks

Sean.

I'm not sure the NextEngine will do what you want

I think they work pretty well for small items that can mount on the turntable, but they aren't something you can just wave around in the air and capture good data with. And Solidworks, while it's a good program for designing parts from scratch, can't do much with imported meshes, which is what scanners typically deliver. If the parts you're scanning are relatively small, a Roland turntable-type laser-scanner might work - the work envelope on the LPX-600 is 9.5" diameter by 16" H. If they're larger, then a hand-held scanner like the UniScan from Creaform (which we also sell) is probably your best bet.

To reverse-engineer a mechanical-type part from scan data, you want something like Rapidform XOR in between the scanner and Solidworks - that allows you to recover "design intent" - clean geometry instead of the rather noisy meshes that scanners produce.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by c.my.m3 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

New here, looking for a 3D scanner, handheld unit if available...contemplating a Nextengine unit to hold me over till I can find a handheld 3D scanner.

Using it to measure various automotive related OEM parts to establishment car fitment(s), render to solidworks and modify for our usage.

Thanks

Sean.

Thanks for the info and help Andrew, I contacted them this aft and got a quote for a full system...

What has been scanned in the past for me was done with a Creaform Revscan, not out of necessity but it was what the shop uses. Here is a sample of the largest piece I would ever have to scan. Rough dimension is 4 feet by 1 ft

Is it even feasible with anything less than a handheld unit like a Zscan or Creaform.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I think they work pretty well for small items that can mount on the turntable, but they aren't something you can just wave around in the air and capture good data with. And Solidworks, while it's a good program for designing parts from scratch, can't do much with imported meshes, which is what scanners typically deliver. If the parts you're scanning are relatively small, a Roland turntable-type laser-scanner might work - the work envelope on the LPX-600 is 9.5" diameter by 16" H. If they're larger, then a hand-held scanner like the UniScan from Creaform (which we also sell) is probably your best bet.

To reverse-engineer a mechanical-type part from scan data, you want something like Rapidform XOR in between the scanner and Solidworks - that allows you to recover "design intent" - clean geometry instead of the rather noisy meshes that scanners produce.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Talking

I almost bought one (but spend the money on a tig welder first opps), YOU need to purchase "rapid works" with it to import models into soldiworks and be able to use the feature tree.

https://www.nextengine.com/indexSecure.htm

GO to "BUY" then click on the "rapid works image", now click on "rapid works" once again, then in the upper hand right corner click play demo movie. For the price there is NOTHING that comes close to the scanner with that software. I've seen one work in person and they are VERY VERY NICE! Unless you have 25grand+ this is your best friend

A local autobody shop uses one on a home made Steady-cam setup. Instead of a camera they mount the laser scanner and instead of holding the unit it has about 8 adjustable legs like a spider that can hold the scanner in any position while it scans. Just scan and mesh the scans together. I will buy one as soon as i have the money for one again!

Quote Originally Posted by c.my.m3 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Sean.

"To reverse-engineer a mechanical-type part from scan data, you want something like Rapidform XOR in between the scanner and Solidworks - that allows you to recover "design intent" - clean geometry instead of the rather noisy meshes that scanners produce. "

Buy the Nextenginer scanner + rapidworks XOR + HDPRO

all can be purchased through Nextenginer under the buy tab.

I hope to get one by fall.

hey diyengineer

I have a nextengine scanner but don't have the $ for rapidworks software. if you buy me this s/w i'll scan stuff for you for the rest of our lives!

-jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimiscnc View Post
    I have a nextengine scanner but don't have the $ for rapidworks software. if you buy me this s/w i'll scan stuff for you for the rest of our lives!

-jim
    I don't have the cash for it at the time, either this fall i hopefully will. I have been trying to source a "copy" on pirate bay but no luck.