In my research, I've seen the majority (actually all, but i'm leaving room for hope) of places say that you can engrave and work with non-ferrous metals. I'm learning so correct me if I'm wrong in saying that steel is ferrous, and therefore, you cannot/should not attempt to mill any steel parts with a cnc mill.

A blanket statement like I just made usually doesn't hold up in all situations. I am sure there are some that will say "If you want to mill metal, make a CNC mill, not a CNC router." Of course that's an oversimplified response to a not-as-simple question.

I, like so many others here, care about costs and if I can get a CNC router to do double duty, I will. What I love about DIY-ers is that most believe "If it can be done, then it should be done...at least once."

My questions:

1. What is it about most CNC router designs that prohibt their uses on non-ferrous metals? (Maybe it's more about the metal than the cnc design)

2. What would it take to make a CNC router that could do light applications on mild steel? I'm thinking of small sprockets out of material 1/8" or 1/4" thick.

I have come to my conclusion that steel + cnc router don't mix based upon the fact that I don't find much coverage of this one websites or in forums. If this was possible, I believe I would find much more information on it than presently available.

Could it really be as simple as use the right bit at slow RPM and slow IPM?