586,103 active members*
3,422 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

JSM 40U Upgrades

Hello all I have a JSM-40U with newly draw 1.5 software. All in all it works as it was intended and is a great bargain but I am looking to get it upgraded. Specifically the software and the work table. I don't even know if that is possible but that's why i am asking here. Top concern is the software, its the antonym of user friendly. I have had to come up with a Kentucky wind age system to get the x y coordinates on the laser to match up with the newly draw screen. And there is no way to set travel limits or any other parameters.

The work table is poorly designed, but what you would expect to get for 2gs. I had to grind down the front right bolt so the armature would clear, but even then the belt doesn't provide any ability to be tensioned to keep all four height adjusting bolts to stay linked. I have been stacking shims to get the table height close so that I only have to use the adjustment knob a little.
    I can fab something up but would rather purchase something that works properly. Any Advice?

You would need to swap out the controller to use a different software. The options depend if you need engraving only, cutting only or both.

If you just want to cut with perhaps occasional engraving, Mach3 may work fine otherwise I would suggest a better micro controller. Check out fullspectrum (search these forums or go to his website) and other similar offerings.

Regarding the table, that is going to be harder to replace - and probably unnecessary.

Actually, I find Newlydraw adequate and once you get it configured the screen layout and coorfinates match the machine just fine. If you mostly cut though, it isn't the right application due to the laser control method. You can get a lot better performance with just a controller change (PWM laser).

Zax.

That's solid advice, much appreciated.

I use it to cut templates and labels for the plastic widgets I make. I engrave with it as well but just for personal projects. I have no doubt most of my frustration is from my lack of familiarity with the software but you have to admit the manual is a little confusing.

So let me get this straight If I replace the controller I can get different software. And by different I mean written in English not translated.

I assume this process is similar to installing a motherboard on a computer?

It would depend which option, using a step/direction board and Mach3 would be slightly more difficult and require some knowledge to install and configure.

If you went with a replacement micro controller then they are available as a direct replacement (plug in) like a PC motherboard and the software is ready to run. Of course you pay for this, likely 3X the cost of a cheap SD driver, but the performance is much better so probably worth it depending on your app.

I may be able to help you out with NewlyDraw, and once you figure it out I think you'll realize it's more than adequate.

Zax.

Anyone know how to connect the PWM on this machine (JSM-40U). I have disconnected the potentiometer and connected the DAC way but would like to compare it with PWM control.

Newlydraw 1.5 is the control software and does a fine job at varying power using its layer feature. Unfortunately the power range is a bit smaller than when using the potentiometer.

Any insight is greatly appreciated . . .