586,108 active members*
3,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > 10mm Endmill speeds on Aluminium...?

10mm Endmill speeds on Aluminium...?

Hi,

I'm in the process of getting an XYZ 1010VMC 4 Axis mill up and running with CAM. I'm testing it with GCode I export from SolidCAM. I just made a first component, and can see the process will work. Up to now we've been working in Shopmill on the machine on steel components.

So now I want to test HSM operations on aluminium (4"x4"x2" block). I have a carbide 10mm finishing endmill with 3 flutes and cutting length of 22mm. I'm thinking of roughing at a spin rate of 200m/min (6400 rpm - my maximum is 8000rpm on the machine), at a Feed of 0.06mm/tooth (1140mm/min). The step down will be 3mm.

I've already tested this tool with these settings, but at a step down of 2mm. Seemed to do a good job. Does this sound reasonable?

What is recommended for coolant on such work? Any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Goor

Sounds reasonable to me, actually depending on how rigid the setup is, it's kind of babying the aluminum (feed and speed). Also depends on the radial width of your cut.
    I am usually not one to push it too hard but some other guy could double that in aluminum with a solid setup.

Thanks icecreamjones,

The set up is quite rigid. The machine is a very heavy mill and I'm holding the component on a 6mm insert holder in a vice. Also have a 10mm insert holder to make it more rigid. Since I am roughing, the tool is cutting at full radial width... meaning that it's cutting it's diameter (10mm). I'm just wondering whether I should rough at my max rpm of 8000, and maybe up the feed? Just don't know how much I can go...

And is it necessary to flood coolant on aluminium with a carbide endmill like this example? The only options I have for coolant currently is flood and air. Although I can manually control amount of fluid at the nozzle before machining.

G

You can cut aluminum dry as you want from an abrasiveness standpoint but it tends to gall up your cutter if you are roughing like that. So yeah, I would flood it with coolant!

You could definitely use the whole 8000 rpm, that's only 816 sfm (we use inches) and I bet you could use a cutter twice that diameter with 8000 rpm. You could probably use more feed, maybe 150% or so but just leave the step down alone since you are in a full radial cut I think.
    These are the types of speeds/feeds I use on 6061 aluminum all the time.

I googled your mill. That is a pretty big and rigid machine and you can push it way harder than that. Do a web search for feed and speed calculator. There are several online ones and they can help you get a good feel for what you can do.

A downloadable option is GWizard. It is currently free and has a pretty good feed and speed calculator. It is written by Bob Warfield, one of the members here: http://www.cnccookbook.com/GWizard/GWizardInstall.html

Download it and plug in some numbers and see what you get.

bob