586,103 active members*
3,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Material Machining Solutions > Looking for a Rayite 100 Alternative

Question Looking for a Rayite 100 Alternative

I am looking for a Rayite 100 alternative since USG has long discontinued the product.

Purpose to mill large model and molds (up to 6'x10') utilizing low cost substructure with a facing material that can be milled with a smooth finish similar if not identical to a plaster finish.

I use HDU, EPS, MDF, Particle Board every day. I know about the Ren Paste system as well (to costly). Dentil plaster, as far as I can find does not sell in sufficient size quantities to purchase this and I am unsure if it could be utilized in the large size facing pours. A large portion of my clients use plaster in thier everyday production cycles and though I have had good success with HDU, finding alternatives that work with thier long standing practices would be beneficial.

Any suggestions or direct links to products that would fit this criteria would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Architectural - Prototype - Modeling - Mold / FrogMill - ScanTech 3D Laser - ArtCam Pro
    Foam - Composites - Hardwood (www.dragonxtreme.com)

When did USG stop producing Rayite? I've got 1/2 dozen bags left... but this is the first I've heard of it going out of production!?
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Last year when I was inquiring with my area rep

Doug Snyder
    Territory: TN, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL

He said USG only ran the product once a year in OK or Kansas and discontinued it a couple years back, did not give an exact date. He also said USG had no plans of ever producing it again, was rather rude about it when I asked.

I have been trying to find alternatives ever since.
    Architectural - Prototype - Modeling - Mold / FrogMill - ScanTech 3D Laser - ArtCam Pro
    Foam - Composites - Hardwood (www.dragonxtreme.com)

Interesting, I'll have to make some phone calls here and see what I can find out..

Certainly not good news if it's true!
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Has anyone found some of this Rayite 100 or repalcement? Looking for some myself.