586,060 active members*
4,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Stepper drive beta testing program

Stepper drive beta testing program

Hi Folks!

The finalization of long waited official stepper support for VSD-E/XE drives is closer than ever. I'm finally getting satisfied on the firmware under development. I can tell that performance will be nothing short of revolutionary.

There will be new firmware beta testing program open to everyone. So we're looking for participants who:
    • Has access to a machine with stepper motors or can install steppers to some machine
    • Has some VSD-E/XE 160V drives on hand for testing
    • Is willing to report their test results and experiences in detail

The testers (or alternatively their friend) will be rewarded with 20% discount on their next order from GD. More details on testing program will follow once the first beta firmware becomes available.

Meanwhile I'll keep this thread as development blog which may be interesting to someone.

Today I finished an algorithm that automatically measures motor parameters such as inductance, resistance and electrical time constant. The accuracy of measurement really surprised me! This will help drive to autotune very optimal control parameters on every power-up (no complex tuning procedure needed).

Thanks for good news, Tero
    Are encoders not required? Can new firmware work on VSD-A? (or PLEASE make new version for them too)

Quote Originally Posted by Oleks View Post
    Thanks for good news, Tero
    Are encoders not required? Can new firmware work on VSD-A? (or PLEASE make new version for them too)
    The first development goal is a premium open loop stepper drive (no encoder). The enhanced closed loop (servo like) mode will be partially based on that and will be released later.

VSD-A power stage is not very well suitable for 2 phase steppers, so I doubt stepper support on it wouldn't benefit many people. However, VSD-A would be good for 3 phase steppers. If there is enough interested people, then there will be firmware.

Hi Tero,

I'm interested in beta testing. There are some VSD-Es and stepper motors around. Also friends with machines are available. The closed loop control is more interesting, as you know.

Just to clarify little bit, the intended beta testing main target audience is VSD-E/XE 160V owners/buyers who have possibility to run tests on some stepper machine (no need to be CNC related).

I'd like to make betas available for 160V drive only (if enough testers) as making separate version for 80V on each beta release adds quite much work. The final version will of course be available for 160V and 80V models.