586,058 active members*
3,534 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Bobcad as a post-processor?

Bobcad as a post-processor?

I was wondering if there is any way to use bobcad to translate NC code? I don't have a mastercam post for my new machine, but I do have one for bobcad... I was wondering if anyone knows if a guy can take in FANUC or some other standard NC from mastercam or something, and then convert it with a working post in bobcad(V21)?

Thanks a million for any help anyone might have!

-Parker

G Code Conversion

If you are looking to convert G code programs from one format to another ... I don't think you can do that through a CAD/CAM package ... you would have to re-create the drawing / toolpath.

You might take a look at KipwareXC ( www.kentechinc.com ).

so, the post for bobcad only works when it converts toolpaths in the drawings to nc code? I didn't know if that was the case, or if it also could go through a conventionally written nc file, and change it per a specific dialect.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerbender View Post
    I was wondering if there is any way to use bobcad to translate NC code? I don't have a mastercam post for my new machine, but I do have one for bobcad... I was wondering if anyone knows if a guy can take in FANUC or some other standard NC from mastercam or something, and then convert it with a working post in bobcad(V21)?

Thanks a million for any help anyone might have!

-Parker
    If you can produce the correct code for your new machine in BobCAD then you must know what the NC Code needs to look like, if so can you not Edit a Mastercam Post Processor that is fairly close to your machine to output the correct NC Code ??

There is some info here on Editing Mastercam Post Processors

http://www.mmattera.com/mastercam/po...te_a_post.html

Or here

http://www.emastercam.com/

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro::rainfro:

I'm assuming that that is what I'm going to end up doing, I was mainly hoping for a workaround for the time being, to get the machine running quicker, while I learn how to work on posts (I'm inside one currently, and am pretty intimidated...) plus the hurco does a strange thing that it's z values are positive on both sides of the retract plane, and it goes into incremental when in canned cycles, which I don't really know how to change that stuff...

Thanks for the links, and if anyone has any other insight, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

-Parker

I'm assuming that that is what I'm going to end up doing, I was mainly hoping for a workaround for the time being, to get the machine running quicker

if anyone has any other insight, that would be awesome!
    Load up your part in BobCad and toolpath it and post the code. While you learn Mastercam.

I'm assuming that that is what I'm going to end up doing, I was mainly hoping for a workaround for the time being, to get the machine running quicker, while I learn how to work on posts (I'm inside one currently, and am pretty intimidated...) plus the hurco does a strange thing that it's z values are positive on both sides of the retract plane, and it goes into incremental when in canned cycles, which I don't really know how to change that stuff...

Thanks for the links, and if anyone has any other insight, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

-Parker
    What Hurco do you have ?? I have 2 of them and never had a problem with either of them programming anything, having said that mine do both have the Ultimax III twin screen controls with the full conversational software, Ultipocket, 3D Mould, DXF input etc so I`m not in the unhappy position of having to produce NC Code for them!!
    However, if you have the top of part set at Z zero then any move above that will be a positive value so regardless of where the "detent" ( Retract plane) is the values will certainly be positive either side as they are both above the Z zero.

Burrman is right, can you not just do what you need in BobCAD if it is producing the code for you then you can take as long as you like getting the Mastercam stuff sorted ???

The part i'm doing is vaugely complex, and I'm looking for a surface that I can send almost directly out to be e-nickel carbide coated. Bobcad might do it, I had felt in my early experience with it, that it's capabilities at surface finishing are limited. I might have to further inspect it's potential...