586,094 active members*
4,137 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > hardinge conquest 42 VS cobra 42

hardinge conquest 42 VS cobra 42

I had my mind made up on the cobra until I really started to play with the control it does not have a switch or button to go directly to mem jog mdi ect. you cant speed up or slow down the spindle while it is running and last but not least the collant system only has the one 1/4 npt line right behind the turret. ( this all really got me thinking ) this machine is a 1996

There is also a conquest 42 there 1992 machine it has live tool option but no live tool holders this machine has a very nice east to use control but is $2000 more and slightly older. It seem like the better option just for the control alone but the live tool opion would be great once I located the tooling.

Also I am not sure if it is good or bad but the cobra has a new (rebuilt) spindle and new z axis linear rails (the dealer that the machine is at put in I showed up while the machine was ripped apart)

I keep going back and forth but I keep saying that the conquest makes more sence any feedback would be great
    Thanks Mike

Well I bought the conquest 42 it will be here tommarow any one know of a good place to buy live tool holers other than ebay.
    Is there any other little corks or tricks that will make the set up easier.
    thanks Mike

Hardinge Conquest 42 is a good machine, especially w/live tooling. Does it have a subspindle option also? When you get up and running with the Conquest, is there any way I could check parameters with yours to double check them. Im trying to tweak mine alittle. Seem to be getting 1009 & 1010 alarms popping up, which have to do with live tooling and subspindle faults.

Yes mine is running if I can help you I will but I dont have the sub spindle

Question Conquest 42 Tailstock

mls: do you use your tailstock without the subspindle. If so I would really like to see your parameter settings. Mine gives me errors when I turn on the sub spindle bit. I dont know how to enable the tail stock for use with a live center but not use the sub spindle. Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.

Conquest 42 Tailstock

mls: Do you use your tailstock without the subspindle? If so I would really like to see your parameter settings. Mine gives me errors when I turn on the sub spindle bit. I don't know how to enable the tail stock for use with a live center but not use the sub spindle without generating errors. It worked fine before I lost all the parametersand had to enter them manually so I am certian it is a parameter issue. Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.