586,077 active members*
3,815 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A USB Solution for DIY Setups?

Hi I'm new here and looking at building my own CNC... my problem is I'm on a Mac and there is no software out there it seems.... SO.. in my search for a solution I have come across a USB controller that will handle 4 stepper motors.. I think it was just recently developed and sells for about $75 it accpets code from alot.. and I mean alot of programming options including action script from flash.... which BTW lets you create graphics in 3D I will post a lonk to have alook at...but here are some of the specs... can someone tell me if I've stumbled upon something good here,,,,or if I'm just chasing rainbows...keep in mind I know just the newbie basics about DIY CNC's I'll keep my fingers crossed...lol

http://blog.trossenrobotics.com/2008...or-controller/

roduct Specifications
    Position Resolution: ½ step (40-bit signed)
    Upper Position Limit: 239 – 1 ½ steps
    Lower Position Limit: -(239 – 1) ½ steps
    Velocity Resolution: 0.75 ½ steps/second (9-bit)
    Velocity Limit: 383.25 ½ steps/second
    Acceleration Resolution: 140.625 ½ steps/second2 (6-bit)
    Acceleration Limit: 8859.375 ½ steps/second2
    Minimum Power Supply Voltage: 5V
    Maximum Power Supply Voltage: 12V
    Max Current Per Coil: 1A
    USB-Power Current Specification: 100mA max
    Device Quiescent Current Consumption: 23mA
    Device Active Current Consumption: 23mA max
    Software Environment

Thanks

Imacman

It's a neat little unit but it's very much in the "toy" class because fo the low specs.

Mainly;
    1A max
    12v max
    only 1/2 steps
    385 1/2 steps/second

It will only drive very small steppers, and since there are 400 half-steps per rotation the max speed will be less than one rotation per second.

It's a nice PCB but I think it is much better suited for little robots using small stepper motors to rotate a camera etc.

I agree with RomanLini it's a very small output driver

Also, if you read the manual, it has one HUGE problem, it states it CANNOT be used on CNC applications, as it can only move one axis at a time, not very good unless all your cuts are straight.

Personally I would forget about using a Mac, get a cheap PC running XP with a parallel port, use Mach3 and use one of the many parallel port motor drivers available, at min. 2amps +

Too good to be true!

Yess It did seem a bit too good to be true.... I guess I will go to plan B.)... which is install windows on my mac, and forget about the MAC route.... now there's a product opportunity for someone.... write software for the Mac for CNC use.... over the last 2 weeks I've come across dozens & dozens looking for the same solution...Windows XP here I come...lol.... once I actually find a CNC that is.... anyone got any other leads on a CNC I ca buy $0 to $3000 range?.. 14 X 48 X 4". Are the units from China worth looking at?

Thanks

Imac

There is a really good board with software at http://www.edingcnc.com/

it runs on a pc but since it has a dedicated controller a really bad/old pc could control it... Also I think maybe you could run it off windows off your mac but not sure

For under $200 you can get a mini-ITX Atom based board, memory, case, and hard drive. Monitors are pretty easy to come by. Load linux and EMC2 and you're good to go. You can't get Parallels and Windows for $200, I don't think. I'm writing this on a mac right now, but for controlling the machine there are better alternatives.

About 2 months ago I stumbled across a guy developing a USB CNC control, and it did run on a mac, but it only supported a limited number of G-codes. However, I did some searching, and can't find it. It was kind like a dongle, with a USB plug on one end, and a parallel port on the other end.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

SmoothStepper provides a USB interface. You would then connect the SmoothStepper to your breakout board. You would still need a mac machine control program.

I prefer Macs, too, but you need a PC with Win2k or XP running Mach for this. If you did find a Mac program, you would have almost no one to ask for help if you needed it. Besides, there is no need wasting a good Mac sitting in the dust next to the CNC router. That's a good job for an old PC.

John