586,110 active members*
3,289 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

USB Drive Viruses

Not sure what category to put this in.

I want to know what you do to keep your machines safe from customers viruses.
    My company just got a crippling virus off of a USB drive that we use to bring files to outside processors. We want to set up something to scan them before we put them back in our machines and bring down our network again!!

Is there such a thing?

i use this,

RRT v5.0.0.15 - Sergiwa Antiviral Toolkit

You might want to research 'disabling autorun' in Windows.

I believe default Windows behaviour is to look for an autorun file on any drive which is plugged into the USB. Executing the autorun is most likely when the virus installs itself, perhaps before your virus scanner even has a chance to scan the files on the disk.

Yes, you will then have to search for the files on the disk using windows explorer as the pop-up window will likely cease to pop up when autorun is disabled. Not a big deal for a bit of security.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

My daughter brought one home on her USB stick a couple of years ago, and as mentioned, it made use of the autorun.inf file on the stick. The virus was actually cleverly disguised, made to look like a hidden system trashbin folder rather than an executable. I installed a free program called AutoRun Eater that checks removable media when you insert it.
    http://oldmcdonald.wordpress.com/

Yer, disable the autorun, my mate caught a virus off of a USB stick, it hit his PC, his music Hard Drive (he's got one of these Terabyte HD's... figure how long to scan), his freaking iphone thing (it scanned every 30 seconds or so for stuff to copy itself to, if I recall). The virus also knocked out the ability to disable autorun and various other options that you would normaly use to get rid of it it took me hours to fix it "Hacked By Godzilla" appeared on the top of the address bar.

I think it was technicaly called a worm more than a virus. Pain in the arse to get rid off.

If it was "Hacked By Godzilla" thing lemme know, I got how to get rid of it written down, printed out and stuck on my wall.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Win, USB Drive, disable Autoplay:

1) Open Windows Explorer or press the Windows + “e” key.
    2) Right-click the drive of the USB Drive (then select "Properties", Drive Properties will appear).
    3) Select the AutoPlay tab.
    4) Choose Select an Action to Perform
    5) At the bottom of the selection, click Take no Action, then click Apply.
    6) Click OK to exit Drive Properties.

Then create a shortcut, from the USB Drive to the Desktop, makes it faster to find the USB Drive, later.

Always scan the USB Drive with Antivirus program (Avira, etc...)
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

If you have only one PC and a single user it is quiet easy to protect it.
    but in a office environment ( not all are tech savy even if you disable autorun and some one double click the usb you wil get infected)

Download (Flash_Disinfector.exe)and run this while you have your usbdisks in slot.what this software is doing is making a folder by name of autorun.inf on all disks and usb or mobiles with window permissions not to be overwritten by any virus or worm( so they can't replace it with autorun.inf file).

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com...isinfector.exe

FYI,

There are some of the China USB jump drives that have an embedded rootkit on them.

The DoD banned all usb jump drives. They are just now looking at going back to some "known" good drives. I.e. IronKey or some other encrypted (read expensive) jump drives.

Assuming that you are very paranoid and that your shop time is worth the effort.

You can set up a "transfer" pc with your anti virus of choice. Then copy the customer files from their jump drive to yours. This machine wouldn't be used for anything buy scanning of drives and moving files.

But as stated above, you want to make sure that you disable any autorun software. And you want the AV software to scan the USB on insert.