586,102 active members*
2,970 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > More Cambam q.: Pause - Import GCode - Noop

More Cambam q.: Pause - Import GCode - Noop

Hi

It seems "Import G-Code" in CAMBAM+0.9.7f does not work. It throws an error reading Unable to Cast of type ... to type ..., something in the C++ class vocabulary. Also "Toolpath to Geometry", suggested at http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=528.0, does nothing. I believe Import G-Code as a machining operation (not as a drawing operation) should just copy the G-Code thru, that's how I understood it. Admittedly it is not in the documentation.

I want to place a Pause in the resulting G Code. My idea was to import a piece of G Code that does exactly this (M0 and some more commands, even a very short air cut in case a path is needed). Of course I might yet try, as a bypass, a MOPCustomFooter/MOPCustomHeader at the end of the previous or the beginning of the next MOP, but an explizit Noop machining operation would be cleaner.

Help and explanations will be welcome.
    Peter

<OT> the new website at www.cambam.info seems down, otherwise I would ask directly.</OT>
    <PS> Import GCode is named Backplotting in the documentation, but it does not work. See https://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=29.0 a thread from 2007.</PS>

Peter.
    It does work, I've just tried it.

To keep things managable, draw a simple shape in CamBam, do a Profile MOP and generate the GCode.

From the File menu, Open the .nc file you have just created and the toolpath should appear in the drawing window.

Right click on the associated MOP and select Toolpath to Geometry, this will create a polyline that once Exploded, can be edited and used for further work.

Remember that as it's the toolpath you're working with, it will have been offset from the original shape by the cutter radius.

Just use the cambam.co.uk website to ask your questions.

Martin.

Martin, thank you for answering.

I agree with you (and found later). What you describe works indeed, and is Gсode Import in the sense of backplotting. For the time being I import an essentially empty .nc file into the machining list and write the actual G code, which is an "M0", into its MOPCustomHeader. So it works for me too. My registration at cambam.co.uk is not yet complete.

Peter.