586,069 active members*
3,494 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mazak, Mitsubishi, Mazatrol > M32 Positioning for automatic tool measuring unit

M32 Positioning for automatic tool measuring unit

Anyone know how to set the X Y coordinates of the tool measuring unit on a Mazak with Mazatrol M-32. My machine moves out into the middle of the table and moves -Z until it gets an alarm because it doesn't come into contact with the measuring unit. Trying to figure out what parameter sets the x y position.

Thanks

They are PLC parameters as shown below

R2394 Z MEASURE START POSITION.
    R2396 Y MEASURE START POSITION.
    R2398 X MEASURE START POSITION.

All from home, so all should be minus numbers, if home is plus limit in all axes. I have to stumble through this every time I deal with it, because the parameter value is a metric 32 bit number. Getting to the M32 PLC parameters is a bit on the arcane side, too. Changing the numbers correctly is challenging, also.

The correct number can be done by the hex to decimal conversion of the windows calculator in scientific mode.

So, to reverse engineer your current settings, and to gain some understanding of what’s going on; if the machine position in X, where it stops the X feed to begin the Z minus measuring cycle, as you single block the auto measure, is -7.000 inch. Convert that to metric, convert it from decimal to hex, and that number should match your current R2394. Find by eye the X location to get the centerline of the tool plunger in X, in machine cords only, (not position coords) take that number and convert it metric then to hex and input it over the old one. May need a reboot and then give it a test drive.

ALWAYS WRITE THE PARAMETERS DOWN BEFORE CHANGING THEM! So you can at least get back to what you were starting with, in case things are made worse or something.

This is not a full recipe solution. This is the info you need, but not the entire set of info needed to deal with this expertly. Please confirm this info with your PLC parameter book, usually found in the book bin in the elec cabinets.

Good luck!

Jim

"Short" and "Long" R Registers

Jim,
    When you look at PLC R Registers screen, if you move the curser over to the mode brackets without inputing any R number or data, and place an X in the mode bracket and hit input the display will revert to "long" registers. Then input your R number for the tool measuring data and look at them and you will see a metric number in digital form. This way you don't have to mess with converting hex.

Lee

Thanks for that. I don't have access to any M32's to mess with. My frame of reference is fusion, so that's how i look at all mazatrol.

I recall having to do the hex to decimal conversion on the fusions, but there's probably a way besides the one i know, anyway.

jim

Yea,
    I'm just starting to deal with the Fusion and we have a few of the Matrix's. With them I think you can I/O Write in Binary, Decimal, or Hex as they are all three listed. I just poked around a lot on the old M32's, params, inputs and outputs and registers. I just hope I explained it well enough he can use the information.
    Thanks,
    Lee

Jim,

I'm having trouble when converting the negative decimal number to hex. After converting and entering into the M32 in hex format, it seems to come up with the wrong positive number. I tied Lee's suggestion of changing registers with the X in the mode bracket but didn't have any change on my controller. The problem might be that I'm just learning the controller.

I found the problem I was having entering the parameter. When entering as a decimal you need to use a mode of "0". I kept using a mode of "1" which the controller thought was a Hex input and causing my difficulty.

Thanks for all the help.
    Brent

Thanks for letting us know you had a successful outcome. Internet boards have tremendous potential for solving problems. I only wish there were more than maybe .02% of the CNC users out there posting and taking advantage of it! (in my humble wild ass guessing opinion)

-jim

Brent,
    If you put the X in the mode brackets then input, then call up R2396, (which in hex is actually R2396 and R2397 combined), you should see a decimal string of numbers. The last three numbers are to the right of an imaginary decimal point so -1024.330mm would appear as -1024330. Also when we would input data, we would not denote anything in the mode brackets: We just put in the register number then the data change and input. Once you get it to work you'll like changing data that way better as you can relate your number to a decimal length rather than hex.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet605 View Post
    Anyone know how to set the X Y coordinates of the tool measuring unit on a Mazak with Mazatrol M-32. My machine moves out into the middle of the table and moves -Z until it gets an alarm because it doesn't come into contact with the measuring unit. Trying to figure out what parameter sets the x y position.

Thanks
    Hi, I have a similar problem with my VQC 15/40. The problem is that the measuring unit multiplies 10 times the real lenght of the tool to be measured. Could you teel me wich R parameters are involved in this?.

Thank you in advance.