586,488 active members*
2,915 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Feed rate

Feed rate

I am running Mach 3 and have my feedrate max set to 50 ipm because I loose steps over that.
    I have V23 Bob cad/cam with Bob art. I am practicing drawing until I get all this down, however I am having a problem with the feed rate.

I have the disc with the 6000 images from Bob Cad and when I start drawing one the feed rate is at 6.00 ipm, how can I change that to the 50.00 IPM

Re: Feed rate

I'd like to revive this thread, as I have a similar problem. I'm machining mahogany, so I set the rate at 80 in/min in the Machine Setup feeds/speeds window. I created a Milling Stock material called mahogany and set it's maximum for all the operations to 100 in/min (SFM?), and when I go to run it using MACH3, it reports 7 in/min. and yup, it's about 7 inch/minute alright.

I've searched the Forums without success. Any clues?

Zip & attach your .bbcd so we can have a look, what version are you using BTW?

Quote Originally Posted by agfrag View Post
    I'd like to revive this thread, as I have a similar problem. I'm machining mahogany, so I set the rate at 80 in/min in the Machine Setup feeds/speeds window. I created a Milling Stock material called mahogany and set it's maximum for all the operations to 100 in/min (SFM?), and when I go to run it using MACH3, it reports 7 in/min. and yup, it's about 7 inch/minute alright.

I've searched the Forums without success. Any clues?
    What is the actual feed rate that is output in the G code, if it is F7.0 ipm in the code then it is the BC output, if it is F80.0 ipm in the code then it is most likely to be in Mach3

Here it is, I'm running V27 on a 2448 Zenbot.

Where do I find feedrate in the code? I do not see "F" anything in the code.

Here it is, I'm running V27 on a 2448 Zenbot.

Where do I find feedrate in the code? I do not see "F" anything in the code.
    Post some code that you have generated and Zip up the Post Processor you have used.

Also, what have you run previously on this machine and did that run OK ?

Usually if there is no F command in the code then Mach3 will use it`s default which will depend on what the motor tuning speeds are set to.

P.S. Now had a chance to look at your file and you don`t have any feed speeds set in the program ! ! !
    Problem will likely be in your material settings.

Here is some code generated from your program where I have manually set the cutting rate to 80 ipm in the tool area in your program,I have put the Feed in Red.

(FIRST CUT - FIRST TOOL)
    (Machine Setup - 1 Z Level Rough)

(TOOL #1 quarter ball)
    N02 T01 M06
    N03 G90 G54 X17.217 Y2.7936 S2000 M03
    N04 G43 H01 Z1.
    N05 Z0.2
    N06 Z0.1
    N07 G01 Z-0.1
    N08 X17.2184 Y2.7517 F80.
    N09 X17.2219 Y2.7081
    N10 X17.224 Y2.6863
    N11 X17.2352 Y2.621

See image below

Here is what my Feeds and Speeds settings are and my material settings. I am quite puzzled as well in reference to my missing F code. I'll look at some of my old files.

Wonder what would prevent BC form including it in the Gcode? Hmmm...

Here is what my Feeds and Speeds settings are and my material settings. I am quite puzzled as well in reference to my missing F code. I'll look at some of my old files.

Wonder what would prevent BC form including it in the Gcode? Hmmm...
    In your image there is no Cutting Feedrate, that is why there is no F code, just type in the box for Cutting Feedrate ie 80.0000 and the generated code will have an F code of F80.
    That is all you need to do, if you have a Z movement on your machine then also input a Plunge Feedrate

If you don`t have the correct SFM for your tool for this paricular material then there is no point in creating the Mahogany Material other than to have it appearing in the CAM tree and in the generated code, so just input the feedrate required as you go

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Thanks Engine guy, I'll try that on the next job. Funny how these past couple years I've never filled that in and had no issues. But maybe the default was fine for the few jobs I have run, so I didn't bother to check.

What is the SFM for anyway?

You are welcome, yes, you have probably been lucky with previous defaults being OK for your job

SFM is the "Surface Feet per Minute" of the cutter (End Mill etc) and refers to the distance travelled based on the diameter of the cutter and the rpm, see the attached .PDF file for the basic formulae used in these calculations

Attachment 321092

Enjoy

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

There are quite a few Speeds & Feeds Calculators available, I use HSM Advisor, most have a trial period so you can see what suits you before forking out any money,

- Nick

Red face Re: Feed rate

When editing a job at the cam window ,the feedrate of 6 per minute is default unless you modified it.(or am I mixing mach 3?)
    but you can also select manual and enter the value you want for a particular job without
    changing the default...
    I suspect that, if you were doing jobs for long time and with different speeds, this could be why...
    hope this help(ver 23)

for ver 27 why is the use system speed and feed check box not checked?