586,075 active members*
3,967 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help with CNC for inlay

Hi All,

I'm going to get my hands on a small CNC machine soon, so I'm trying to get up to speed. I'm new to CNC, but I was a software developer for many years. At one point I wrote embedded software for controlling large flatbed plotters, stitchers and a general 3 axis controller that used to be sold by Data Technology.

At present I'm doing custom inlay on guitars for a local guitar builder, so once I get the machine up and running I'd like to cut some inlays from shell, wood, metal and other materials and rout the cavities. I do have many years of 3D modelling experience but sadly on Lightwave3D. I know how to make purdy near-photorealistic (and mostly useless) images:

Since I haven't even seen the machine yet, I'm concentrating on understanding the general software requirements.

I know I need some sort of CAD package to make my models for 3D stuff. Maybe I can convert Lightwave output, but I'd eventually like to move to something like Rhino. Though perhaps there's a way to use DXF's exported out of Adobe Illustrator for 2D things like inlays?

I have no idea what to get for a CAM program or machine controller. Does anyone have any suggestions for software to get up and running doing inlays? I'll save the 3D stuff for later. Though I guess a radiused fretboard cavity is actually 3D.

I'd also love to hear anyone's experiences cutting inlays, particularly dealing with shell.

Thanks,
    Athena

I use Mach 3 for my controller, and Vectric Aspire for Cad and Cam

You can get a Lightwave .stl export plugin from the Chrome Cow website that will allow you to machine Lightwave models.

For doing inlays, any 2D CAD program will export the needed .dxf's. Illustrator may work, but I've heard it's .dxf files are not always that good.

A good cheap 2D CAM package for the inlays would be Vectric's Cut2D. Their more expensive package have an automatic inlay function.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I use AlphaCam for all my Inlay work. It has cad and cam capability and can import files from many different sources it also does 3D.
    We all live in Tents! Some live in content others live in discontent.

Thanks so much for the input everybody! I snagged the Lightwave plugin yesterday but had a strange feeling of deja-vu. I don't remember if that worked or not. I know Lightwave has never successfully opened a dxf file that I've tried, so I'd be concerned about exporting one. I don't think it makes very portable dxf. Illustrator is a good question. Maybe I have to find a .ai to .dxf converter that makes better code.

To be honest, I design my inlays in Photoshop...LOL. I've been living in that program for eons. I do use paths though, so I can export them to Illustrator, which I have. I just don't usually design there because it has a somewhat frustrating interface for someone so used to Photoshop. I can't imagine me suddenly designing my inlays in some other program, so I'd like to find something that can import something I can export.

I've had several recommendations for Cut 2D and 3D so I will definitely check them out. I'll also check out Alphacam.

Initially, I'd like to get this thing up and running with a very low cash outlay, just to see if it'll do anything useful. I don't own it, but it might be nice to be able to use it. Ultimately the plan was to get a K2 when this builder was ready to shell out for it (no pun intended). I was hoping this little machine would whet his appetite. :-) If I'm lucky, I'll get to see it today and find out just what it is. All I've heard so far is: "XY travel is 18"x6" or so. 6" of Z." So I'm guessing it's some sort of CNC mini mill. If the dims are correct, just large enough to do most inlays. Too small for bodies. :-( I'll want to try to play around with making at least most of a neck, just for practice.

I've wanted one of these things for ages. Even before I had a real use for it. I kick myself for not getting some motors, encoders, etc. from Data Tech before I left. I had wanted to build something back when I actually had spare time...LOL. Now it'll be better to start off with pre-built machine.

...Ath

Well I have the machine and it turns out not to be a small CNC router but indeed, a mill. It's a Taig Micro Mill. According to Taig it's not their controller box, so perhaps it was DIY job. I kind of hoped so, as it doesn't look as nice as some of the home built controllers I've seen on the web.

Pics here: http://home.comcast.net/~ath3na/Taig.html
    I guess I'll start posting in the Taig section now. Though I'm curious if anyone here uses a similar machine for any lutherial tasks? It appears the X travel is either 9.5" or 12" which is not long enough to rout a set of fretmarkers. :-( It'll be ok for headplates, 12th fret inlays and other smaller items I guess.

It could possibly prototype an aluminum bridge. The builder might do a one-off 7 string version of his custom bridge he wouldn't want to order in bulk, like the others. He also wants to do a trem. However, I'm not much of a MetalHead. I've got a lot of learning to do.

...Ath

The floral inlay on the pink quilted maple guitar is awesome work.

I snagged the Lightwave plugin yesterday but had a strange feeling of deja-vu. I don't remember if that worked or not. I know Lightwave has never successfully opened a dxf file that I've tried, so I'd be concerned about exporting one. I don't think it makes very portable dxf
    I use the LW .stl plugin all the time, it works great. I also import .dxf's into LW quite often. What you need to be aware of, is that .dxf's can contain many different types of entities. LW can't use a lot of those entities. This is especially true with 2D .dxf's. I just did a quick test, and the only 2D entity LW would import from AutoCAD was a circle, which imported as a curve in LW.

Here's a suggestion to get a good .dxf from Illustrator. Download Inkscape, and export from Illustrator in a vector format that Inkscape can read. Maybe SVG? Download the Inkscape v12 dxf exporter (written by a member here), and export your design as a .dxf.

http://mydxf.blogspot.com/2008/11/inkscape-r12-dxf.html

But actually, I think Cut2D can read .eps files, so going that route from Illustrator would be your best bet. Download the Cut2D demo and see if it'll load your stuff.

AlphaCAM is huge money, with a steep learning curve. I use it at work. For what you need to do, the cheaper programs will do the same thing. There's a lot of stuff I can do faster at home with cheap software than I can do at work with AlphaCAM.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The floral inlay on the pink quilted maple guitar is awesome work.

I use the LW .stl plugin all the time, it works great. I also import .dxf's into LW quite often. What you need to be aware of, is that .dxf's can contain many different types of entities. LW can't use a lot of those entities. This is especially true with 2D .dxf's. I just did a quick test, and the only 2D entity LW would import from AutoCAD was a circle, which imported as a curve in LW.

Here's a suggestion to get a good .dxf from Illustrator. Download Inkscape, and export from Illustrator in a vector format that Inkscape can read. Maybe SVG? Download the Inkscape v12 dxf exporter (written by a member here), and export your design as a .dxf.

http://mydxf.blogspot.com/2008/11/inkscape-r12-dxf.html

But actually, I think Cut2D can read .eps files, so going that route from Illustrator would be your best bet. Download the Cut2D demo and see if it'll load your stuff.

AlphaCAM is huge money, with a steep learning curve. I use it at work. For what you need to do, the cheaper programs will do the same thing. There's a lot of stuff I can do faster at home with cheap software than I can do at work with AlphaCAM.
    Thanks for the compliment!

Yeah I've only tried importing mostly old 3ds .dxfs I guess. And I don't remember what the people who were having trouble with mine were using. I figured it was something like that.

Actually, according to their website, Cut2D will open AI files! I'll have to check out the demo when I get the machine running. At that price, it's a serious contender.

Thanks!

...Ath