586,262 active members*
4,181 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > Engraving Tips & Techniques

Engraving Tips & Techniques

Hi I am new to both this forum and engraving, and hoping that someone can provide me with a few pointers.

I have a Gravograph M40G Machine, and although I can find my way around the Gravostyle software, I am struggling to find much information on how to set the actual machine up for different types of work or materials.

Apart from the half day installation / training that came with the machine, I am really learning as I go, by either personal experience or tips picked up in this and other forums.

Given that I am personalizing glassware, gifts and Zippos etc, learning by experience can be rather expensive, if things don't go to plan.

I am therfore wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any books or websites that will help, or perhaps recommend any training courses.

The kind of things I need immediate help with are:

1 - When to use or not to use a nose cone.

2 - How to avoid nose cone scratches.

3 - What are the ideal XY speeds and Auto Z or Micrometer depths for various materials.

4 - How to hold a hip flask for engraving, as it does not seem to sit comfortably in any of my jigs.

5 - I have been using diamong drag and no nose cone on plain Zippos and rotary engraving with a nose cone and a HSS cutter on powder coated Zippos, so far with reasonable results, but still not sure if this is the best way to go.

Any comments / thoughts would be most welcome.

engraving without scratches

engraving without scratches. i do not claim to be a expert but some brass items sold for engraving are covered in clear plastic adhesive tape.

i have found when engraving with a center drill or an end mill it is best to leave the film of plastic tape on until after engraving.

1) it helps protect from scratches

2) it helps with burs or rough edges as when tape is removed it helps remove the burrs

i never did diamond drag engraving but maybe diamond will engrave glass with plastic tape on it and remove plastic tape when done engraving ??

engraving without scratches

Thanks for the reply.

You mention plastic adhesive tape coatings.

What if the brass (or any other material for that matter) comes without a protective coating. Do you recommend applying your own tape, and if so what is the best type / make to use?

CMWR,
    No offense to the fine folks here, but I think you need help from an engraving specific forum. I belong to Engraving Etc., and I guarantee that you will find the info you need there. Just like here, lots of people willing to help. engravingetc.org is the site - there is a free 30 day trial so you can see if you want to join.

Gary

Thanks.

I have taken out the free 30 day membership to "Engraving etc", and from what I have seen so far it looks very promising.

Web sites of free Engraving Tips

Web sites of free Engraving Tips

http://www.antaresinc.net/

check out Engraving tools, Engraving FAQ, Fact sheets

also
    http://www.majosoft.com/engraving/in...menunr=4&sub=1

often web sites that sell engraving machines and supplies has free information on engraving

as for clear plastic tape already applied on brass sign name plates i am not sure what type it is. I would try whatever you have available and see if it helps. When engraving metal with a rotary cutter I make a 2nd cut only 0.001" deeper and some oil. it helps with metal burrs and the clear tape helps pull the burrs off. sometimes i use a small piece of wood to try to rub off the burrs. i have not tried diamond engraving yet.

For more technology knowledge of engraver the following website will give you a help:http://www.yorklaser.com/knowledge.html
    www.yorklaser.com
    [email protected]

Re: Engraving Tips & Techniques