586,060 active members*
3,494 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Solidworks to Mach3

I'm new to CNC and my first machine is in progress (I'm waiting to the electronics).

I hope someone can help me.
    How to convert a file of component which designed in Solidworks to a file which "Mach3" can read and work with?

I read that Mach3 software is very popular. Also, I understand that the computer is translating Gcode and send it to the controller.

thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by spaltiel View Post
    I'm new to CNC and my first machine is in progress (I'm waiting to the electronics).

I hope someone can help me.
    How to convert a file of component which designed in Solidworks to a file which "Mach3" can read and work with?

I read that Mach3 software is very popular. Also, I understand that the computer is translating Gcode and send it to the controller.

thanks in advance
    You need another piece of software, a CAM package. You can get plugins to SolidWorks for this (CAMWorks, SolidCAM, FeatureCAM, etc), or you can use third party programs (CAMBAM, BobCAD/CAM, etc.). What's your budget? It will cost from free to tens of thousands of dollars (for a 5-axis CAM package).

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    You need another piece of software, a CAM package. You can get plugins to SolidWorks for this (CAMWorks, SolidCAM, FeatureCAM, etc), or you can use third party programs (CAMBAM, BobCAD/CAM, etc.). What's your budget? It will cost from free to tens of thousands of dollars (for a 5-axis CAM package).

My budget is very short. Can you please recommend of a software which is free? BTW I am willing to convert 3D components.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

thanks.
    Are there more free software?

You can use CamBam for both drawing (CAD) type functions and gcode generation (CAM) functions. There is a free version of CamBam with les functionality, or you can use the full version for 40 times for free. I have been using CamBam for about a year now and really like it. The support is great, and I have not found anything I need to do that CamBam has not supported. I am not a heavy duty 3D user but what limited 3D functions I needed, CamBam handled well.

Don

I use MeshCAM - they do offer a 30 day free trial, which might be good for you while you get a better understanding of your needs. After that, it's under $200.

As far as software goes, it's pretty good.

To the process you'll use is:

In SolidWorks, save as an STL

Open the STL in MeshCAM.

Define stock size, program zero, select your cutter profile(s), then set up your roughing and/or finishing passes. Generate your toolpath, open it in Mach3, and you're good to go.

Of course it never goes as smoothly as that, there's lots to learn along the way.