586,036 active members*
3,657 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Decimal points output by postprocessor

Decimal points output by postprocessor

Hi,

I'm building a postprocessor for a Fanuc 0-MD mill and it outputs code with alot of decimals.
    The controller has no problem with it, it's more by personal preference that i would like keep it down.

I understand the need for using 3 decimals when final cut machining, but code down to 3 decimals when roughing just looks ridiculous

Is there anyway to make this happend ?

Running: 2009R1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails snap023.jpg  

use the format table in the code wizard
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

Quote Originally Posted by helix77 View Post
    use the format table in the code wizard
    Yes i can lower the amount of allowable decimals there but this means that the rule will be enforced even when i might need 3 decimals.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO USE LESS DECIMALS? IT SEEMS RISKY TO ME..

I think you missunderstand what i'm asking for.

I don't want the postprocessor to throw away decimals output from edgecam. This as you point out would be dangerous.
    I would like edgecam to optionally calculate roughing toolpaths that use less decimals.

This is mostly because i want the machinist to be able to make program edits at the machine and this would lower the amount of confusion when trying to follow the program.

But i guess it's a luxury we wont have, unless i make manual toolpaths in edgecam to

OY...IM NOT SURE IF EDGECAM DOES THAT. THE ONLY THING THAT WOULD EVEN BE CLOSE IS TO CHECK PRISMATIC GEOMETRY..WITCH HELPS TO REDUCE CODE

This is not practicle as you would not be able to control the amount the finish tool has to remove leaving this up to the post ? You will not get consistency if your post is rounding off numbers.
    We all live in Tents! Some live in content others live in discontent.

I THINK HE IS JUST TALKING ABOUT THE ROUGHING...BUT I AGREE. EVEN IF YOUR ROUGHING IT SEEMS LIKE IF YOUR ROUNDING DEMIMAL PLACES YOU WOULD GET UNPREDICTABLE RESULTS...

WHY WOULD YOU NEED TO EDIT ON THE CONTROL IF YOU ARE USING A CAM SYSTEM. ANY CHANGE I MAKE IS (AT LEAST) SAVED FROM THE NC EDITER..IF NOT IN EDGECAM

This is a pain for me too - I like nice round numbers when I know the tool is in fresh air as it makes the code so much easier to follow on the machine.

The only way I've found to get halfway there is to use 'grid'. Configure the grid (in the 'view' menu) so its in increments of 1mm. Then, when selecting moves on the screen make sure 'grid' is highlighted in the bottom right. The toolmovements will snap to whole numbers then.
    When doing roughing moves, 'manually' move the tool to where you want the cycle to start, using 'feed move'. Then, when edgecam asks you for a start point just right click to accept where it is already as a start point. You'll have a whole number then when you post it.

As for controlling precisely where the tool stops with the star and arrow paradigm, you have to accept the silly decimal places edgecam throws out. Every other cam system I've ever used lets you control this very well, but edgecam doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by inflateable View Post
    This is a pain for me too - I like nice round numbers when I know the tool is in fresh air as it makes the code so much easier to follow on the machine.

The only way I've found to get halfway there is to use 'grid'. Configure the grid (in the 'view' menu) so its in increments of 1mm. Then, when selecting moves on the screen make sure 'grid' is highlighted in the bottom right. The toolmovements will snap to whole numbers then.
    When doing roughing moves, 'manually' move the tool to where you want the cycle to start, using 'feed move'. Then, when edgecam asks you for a start point just right click to accept where it is already as a start point. You'll have a whole number then when you post it.

As for controlling precisely where the tool stops with the star and arrow paradigm, you have to accept the silly decimal places edgecam throws out. Every other cam system I've ever used lets you control this very well, but edgecam doesn't.
    Business as usual.
    Work around the real problem and hope that they improve the product and not the graphics next time they patch the program

I'll try the grid thing, and hopefully the guys in the shop will get used to the code looking like that.

Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by helix77 View Post
    OY...IM NOT SURE IF EDGECAM DOES THAT. THE ONLY THING THAT WOULD EVEN BE CLOSE IS TO CHECK PRISMATIC GEOMETRY..WITCH HELPS TO REDUCE CODE
    Did not know that prismatic geometry reduces amount of code, i'll try that out

Thx

In the end i found an option in the NC-Styles that set the minimum allowable movement. I changed this from 0.001mm to 0.01mm, on this machine this will be sufficent for all work.

This option as i understood it makes edgecam output movement to 0.01mm instead of 0.001mm.
    And therefore it should not give any rounding errors (Formatting would round the numbers)

Also, by increasing the tolerance for the roughing cycle edgecam started choosing more rounded numbers when possible, the code size decreased and readability increased